Truck not going into park suddenly??? (4L80E)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just got home from work, and the shift lever felt weird. It wouldn't go into park.... the lever moves to park, but it doesn't feel right. I had to park in the grass so the truck wouldn't roll. Is this a cable problem, or something in the steering column? I don't really know where to begin on this.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I read that last night. Mine feels like a binding or something similar.
Ok, gotcha. Then probably not the interlock solenoid. Ditto on checking the cable.

If it looks good, pop that little connector on the shift shaft and manually turn the lever to Park. Check the cable to make sure no binding there.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So what it was, was the outer sheath wore/rusted through and allowed the inner cable to bow out when trying to go into park. It still worked for the other "gears". I had already removed the shift lock by the time I discovered this.... I was barefoot, and felt it move under the floor mat :crazy:

Zip ties to the rescue!

That floor was at one time coated with POR15, but it apparently was too old to stick, as it was a used can when I got it.

Attachments

• 20220615_130355.jpg
    20220615_130355.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 23

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man that cable is toast!!!

POR-15 is great stuff when used correctly. Once that can is opened it is subject to going bad, but generally from moisture contamination that causes it to cure, skinning over on the top, etc. Trapping a piece of plastic wrap between the lid and can when closing it up helps a lot, as well as not painting directly from the can, you have to pour the stuff into a container to paint from, and don't put any excess back into the can.

I know you probably read the instructions and were careful to remove all the loose crud from the floor before painting it, but had it come that way from previous owner, I'd suspect bad prep.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Man that cable is toast!!!

300K miles toast!

POR-15 is great stuff when used correctly. Once that can is opened it is subject to going bad, but generally from moisture contamination that causes it to cure, skinning over on the top, etc. Trapping a piece of plastic wrap between the lid and can when closing it up helps a lot, as well as not painting directly from the can, you have to pour the stuff into a container to paint from, and don't put any excess back into the can.

I know you probably read the instructions and were careful to remove all the loose crud from the floor before painting it, but had it come that way from previous owner, I'd suspect bad prep.

Richard

There's no telling how old the can was. I bought it used at Habitat for Humanity and it had already been opened, I think. When I used it, I put plastic under the lid, and I don't think it ever got a skin. I figured it would be okay since it wasn't drying out, but it's obvious now it was no good. Prior to that I had purchased a can of another similar product, that stuff completely dried in the can in a very short time frame.

I don't recall exactly how I prepped the floor, other than wire wheeling, but I understand the importance of that, so I don't think that was the issue.