TRUCK IS ACTING CRAZY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet he looked silly.

Of course. No oil pressure.

Turning the key "off" would probably have shut down the injectors and the spark (clicking).

The last time someone on this site had that happen, it was the ignition module--sending false signals to the ECM.

The ECM didn't know they were false signals, so it fired the injectors to match the pulse rate of the module. Which, in this case, was fast enough to peg the tach.

Why a module would do that is beyond my pay grade--but one wonders if it was a bottom-feeder Chinese module.

"I" would put in a high-quality module, pull all the plugs and crank the engine with the ignition power disconnected from the module to clear-out the gasoline in the cylinders. Then install the (cleaned? new?) plugs, connect the power, and run the engine.

You disconnected the battery on an OBD-1 vehicle. There aren't going to be any codes.
Yes I knew turning the key off would make it stop I left it on to see what it was actually doing.

The distributer I got yesterday came with a cap, rotor, and ignition module. If you have a specific brand of part that you think is high quality please let me know.

Thanks for the advice on clearing out the gasoline in the cylinders I will do that today and I have new plugs ready to go in.

Battery has been disconnected all night, anyway thank you for the advice much appreciated.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thank you for the video, unfortunately the ground straps didn't fix his problem and he still wasn't getting fuel and is ready to dump the truck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The distributer I got yesterday came with a cap, rotor, and ignition module. If you have a specific brand of part that you think is high quality please let me know.
AC-Delco, Delphi, NAPA/Echlin, Standard Motor Products, Borg-Warner are all names I'd trust, but don't buy the "discount" line of parts, buy the "full-price" line. For example, AC-Delco "Advantage" line is bottom-feeder. They've all got "good" parts, and "cheap junk" parts.

If it says "Made In China", leave it in the store. Get another brand, another product line, or try a different store.

Or do what I do. Grab distributors, modules, ignition coils from Treasure Yard vehicles. OEM quality at pennies on the dollar.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you’re sure his problem isn’t your problem.
No I'm not sure I will try it. One thing I am sure of is I wish I would have kept my 1977 Chevy I did not know this era of trucks had this many problems. I'd take a rotary phone and a carburetor over a computer and all these sensors any day.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC-Delco, Delphi, NAPA/Echlin, Standard Motor Products, Borg-Warner are all names I'd trust, but don't buy the "discount" line of parts, buy the "full-price" line. For example, AC-Delco "Advantage" line is bottom-feeder. They've all got "good" parts, and "cheap junk" parts.

If it says "Made In China", leave it in the store. Get another brand, another product line, or try a different store.

Or do what I do. Grab distributors, modules, ignition coils from Treasure Yard vehicles. OEM quality at pennies on the dollar.
My truck is a treasure yard vehicle it's all original yet it is failing. I appreciate the advice. Thank you. I may try and put a carb on it and get rid of as much electronics as I can. I'm sure there is thread on here on how to do that.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned fuel pressure. I know you put on a new fuel pump but it could be related. The ground on the pump is one place to look.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned fuel pressure. I know you put on a new fuel pump but it could be related. The ground on the pump is one place to look.
yeah your right and I was hoping that was not the case. How would you explain the cap and rotor fixing the problem for a short time? I will have to pull the box off to get at that ground and change the pump if needed. The pump was from LMC and is a year old. Just replaced the throttle position sensor and new plugs. No change.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
My expalination would be, They didn't! You may not have to raise the bed, I would check an see if I could get to it. Also be a intermitent connection in the other wires along the frame. I've been out in the heat and can hardly spell right now.Another thing that I ran into was the wiring connector going to the distributor. I had one quitting and found that connection had corroded badly.

Last edited:

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My expalination would be, They didn't! You may not have to raise the bed, I would check an see if I could get to it. Also be a intermitent connection in the other wires along the frame. I've been out in the heat and can hardly spell right now.Another thing that I ran into was the wiring connector going to the distributor. I had one quitting and found that connection had corroded badly.
I bought the cap and rotor and took it to the shop it was 20 below zero at the time they changed them and the wires I purchased. And now it happened again and I replaced the cap and rotor and the parts place I go to gave me a new set for free thinking that was a defective product. I don't know if have to pull the box off and check everything out I guess I will. This thing has more problems than R Kelly.