TRUCK IS ACTING CRAZY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea how to check for codes.

google how to check OBD1 codes with a paper clip .... or get a reader for about $40.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

you could also get a scanner for more $ that gives you much more information.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had the cap, rotor and wires put on my local mechanic.
I bet he looked silly.

I left the key on and it said check gauges.
Of course. No oil pressure.

Engine bay was making a clicking sound and dumping fuel into the TBI and the TACH was pegged. I threw my keys into the street and disconnected the battery. Any thoughts before I set it on fire?
Turning the key "off" would probably have shut down the injectors and the spark (clicking).

The last time someone on this site had that happen, it was the ignition module--sending false signals to the ECM.

The ECM didn't know they were false signals, so it fired the injectors to match the pulse rate of the module. Which, in this case, was fast enough to peg the tach.

Why a module would do that is beyond my pay grade--but one wonders if it was a bottom-feeder Chinese module.

"I" would put in a high-quality module, pull all the plugs and crank the engine with the ignition power disconnected from the module to clear-out the gasoline in the cylinders. Then install the (cleaned? new?) plugs, connect the power, and run the engine.

You disconnected the battery on an OBD-1 vehicle. There aren't going to be any codes.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup agree with above.

Was gonna say check ignition module first with it being tach pegged and injectors pulsing.

But I was slower then schurkey.

And @Schurkey with the junk coming from China makes me think any kind of odd behavior failure is possible

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also going to add that I have no way of knowing what his electrical issues are but replacing those old grounds is always a good thing.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread should help.
Thank you