Truck idles rough at start up only.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thought occurs to me he may have already pinched the return line and not seen a jump in pressure, which would indicate a weak pump. But if the TBI hasn't been rebuilt it's still a good thing to do, the regulators are notorious for sucking.
I will let him know that he may already have pinched a fuel line. He likes it when I arm chair it from home. Good stuff thank you.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
9 psi because the regulator is weak is one thing.

9 psi because that's all the pump can produce is another thing.

We don't know which situation you've got.

I'm really suspicious of someone who wants to replace both the pump and the regulator.
He's a local guy I found on Craig list. He works out of his garage and is kinda new but he has a lot of business though . I will relay that to him thank you.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 psi is still in spec, though not ideal. I would put a TPI or vortec pump in it is a mandatory upgrade IMO.
Agree. on older engines I don’t think 9psi is enough even though it’s the spec. I had 10-11psi on mine and it was still stumbling. I replaced pump and got it to 13 and problems went away.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree. on older engines I don’t think 9psi is enough even though it’s the spec. I had 10-11psi on mine and it was still stumbling. I replaced pump and got it to 13 and problems went away.
Yeah well get her figured out. I got a good mechanic on it.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got it back and it's still doing the exact same thing. Rough idle on start up then runs fine on the road, drove it home from his shop 30 miles and it did great. A week later took a turn for the worst died in my driveway doing its thing again sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders. I told him about it and I offered to pay him and he didn't bill me. So back to square 1. I managed to get it to my back field and tried a couple times to run it around back there and it's not fit for the road. Not sure what to do now.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm pretty much over this truck. I'm not sure if I can post a for sale here but if I can I probably will here soon. Somebody will hopefully get it going and get a good deal.