Truck gets hot randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markmartin01

Reaction score
So I have a 91 RCSB Z71 that likes to get hot but completely random when it does. Sometimes at idle, sometimes at 55, air on or air off, no certain situation seems to trigger it. New radiator, water pump, with or without thermostat, electric fan with shroud. Engine was rebuilt a couple thousand ago and was really clean inside but water does have rust tint after several flushes. Standard bore. Good fel pro intake gaskets with the rear ports blocked as I think is proper for the year, timing in spec any idea what I may have missed here?

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you verified it is getting hot and not just a false reading on the gauge? Have you noticed any running problems? Is the fan pulling air the correct direction and activating at a reasonable temperature?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming that all else is correct. Which might not be the case.
I would make sure it doesnt have air in the system or is sucking air into the system.
Like I say, that assumes a lot of things based on your post but it is easy to figure out and can cause those problems

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Betting on a defective thermostat opening and closing or maybe some rust/crud circulating through the system and intermittently clogging the thermostat.
Suggest flushing that pup and new thermostat ASAP.

Markmartin01

Reaction score
You know, it has blown the cap a time in the past but I'm not totally trusting the factory gauge. It showed to be above 260 once but wasn't bubbling so I'm not trusting the gauge. May put a mechanical gauge on it for ***** and giggles.