Truck failed inspection because cat too close to floor. Cheap fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about a heat shield?
Thats the first thing that went through my mind, but I have no idea if that would pass inspection or not. The OP needs to get with the inspection shop, and ask for recommendations, IMO.

MSQREX

Reaction score
My mechanic doesn't do any welding. I have the ability to do the required cutting and welding, just not sure where exactly to cut to make this fit nicely

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rest of the exhaust is sitting properly
Respectfully, no it isn't. If the exhaust was where it belonged, the cat wouldn't be that close to the floor. What's been done pre-cat? At very least you need to lower the rear of the pipe, probably achieve that with longer hangers, and that in turn may create enough clearance to put a heat shield on top of the cat. Find you a stock one to crawl under and get some measurements.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In looking at it, isn't the cat upside down? The heat shield on it is on the bottom plus, the O2 sensor shouldn't be pointing straight down maybe?

That's what I thought.
I thought some cats had heat shields on the bottom to keep from igniting grass or whatever, but maybe y'all are right and it's on upside down.