Truck failed inspection because cat too close to floor. Cheap fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSQREX

Reaction score
What is the cheapest/easiest way that I can adjust this cat lower, the shop that did my inspection says it is too close to the floor.

I have a hot snot welder, just never worked on exhausts before and don't have a lift, only a floor jack and a set of jack stands. Maybe there is a quick easy fix for this?

I got onto it with a pry bar, it only gained maybe 1/8", didnt pull super hard tho for fear of caving in the cat
You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sure it wasnt for the rust? I was stationed there back in the late 90s, car wouldn't pass inspection cause it small rust holes in the trunk. But never heard of failing do to cats being too close to the floor. But I don't have any cats on my vehicles lol.

MSQREX

Reaction score
That's a new one for me. Take it back, and have the mechanic show you the rulebook and the wording that specifies the proper distance from body to converter. If they can't, they're blowing smoke up your ass.
I agree with the mechanic, you can feel the heat thru the floor after its running for a bit, too hot to touch. With young kids in the vehicle I don't want to risk them being burnt.
sure it wasnt for the rust? I was stationed there back in the late 90s, car wouldn't pass inspection cause it small rust holes in the trunk. But never heard of failing do to cats being too close to the floor. But I don't have any cats on my vehicles lol.
He gave me a list of things on the inpection that failed, rust was not one of them

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it's damn near touching the floor and you have jute padding above that which can smolder for hours before braking through and erupting into flames. Rubber body plug(?) and rust holes nearby. No heat shield.

Don't really need a rule book to tell ya how this could go sideways. Something like that setup is perfectly fine until it isn't, and when it isn't, it's a disaster. Damn look at the body plug it's already melted.

Last edited: