Truck cranks but not drivable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braddf

Reaction score
1992 350. Truck had absolutely no issues prior. Driving down the road took a turn and it just cut off. Since then whenever I go to crank it it takes a little longer and when it does fire up it revs up and down almost to the point it cuts off, occasionally it will stall. Giving it some throttle does the same thing rpms go up then back to nothing almost stalling out. Replaced the oxygen sensor and the egr valve which it was giving codes for with little improvement. Also seems like I can smell gas. Any ideas what my next move should be?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pump most likely. Probably primes but that's it. Just a guess but if you have around 100K or more on a pump you likely are at or near end of life on it. Fuel pressure test would likely diagnose.

Welcome to the forum. Keep that truck in the road .

Braddf

Reaction score
Fuel pump most likely. Probably primes but that's it. Just a guess but if you have around 100K or more on a pump you likely are at or near end of life on it. Fuel pressure test would likely diagnose.

Welcome to the forum. Keep that truck in the road .

I second the fuel pump is going out.

Appreciate the responses I’ll check it out see what happens.

What is the fuel pressure?

What is the data stream showing when you connect the scan tool?

It’s not really a scan tool. It’s one of those you just slide into the port and it makes the service light flash to tell you what the code is.

Braddf

Reaction score
Also you can smell gas coming out of the exhaust if that means anything to anybody

Braddf

Reaction score
It was in fact the fuel pump going out on me. Ripped the bed off and slapped a new one in there now in runs better than it ever has for me. I appreciate everyone’s help I would have been tinkering with it for a long time if it wasn’t for this forum.