Truck clunks when letting clutch out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my truck back a few weeks ago after getting a new 10 bolt put in it.
For some reason it's got a really weird issue with the clutch or trans or something like that. It's a 95 k1500 305 5spd, when letting the clutch out it clunks and then loses power. Still revs out completely but isnt as powerful. The clutch also gets really soft and grabs the whole way out when usually it grabs in the middle. Then it will clunk again and go back to grabbing in the middle. Its confusing the hell out of me and I need to get it fixed. Thanks in advance for the help.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the problem an actual loss of engine power, or lack of 'pulling' power?
Is the driveshaft length correct?
The wear pattern on the slip yoke will tell you.
Sounds like the clutch release arm is failing. They will wear completely thru, then bind up, cause all sorts of problems. Maybe pull the clutch dust guard and try to visualize the clutch release arm, and see if anything looks askance.
If the clutch pedal feels funky, something's wrong with the clutch release system or the clutch pressure plate. It loose transmission bolts or mount?
Reckon the trans could be failing too...but that wouldn't cause the clutch to feel odd.
Out comes the tranny. Isn't too bad. Pulling the shifter out is a PITA. The trans isn't heavy.
If the arm is screwed, replace the ball too.
I will add that if the clutch pops when depressed and the engine is off, there's something in the clutch causing it. If the arm wears too much, it'll allow the throwout bearing to cut up the trans input snout. It'll pop when released. And chatter and tear up the transmission eventually.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it do this before the 10 bolt was installed?
no my last one blew up and i had to get another one for it. its on its second transfer case, so idk if that changes anything. im starting to get sick of the nv3500 **** anyways, probably gonna build a 383 and nv4500 for it, ill look into what l29 said and see if theres anything up with the clutch. itll have to wait a day or two cause its currently pouring

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're into rock crawling, you won't (maybe?) like an NV4500 either. They are "truck" transmissions with odd gear splits and heavy shifting.
A good NV3500 will hold up OK if not seriously abused. And the '94-'95 have about perfect SB gear splits. Just need to find a good 3500...which ain't easy. A good 3500 is a slick shifting item.
Before going with a 4500, I'd consider an "improved" 4L60E...or a 700R4. Your transfer case fits all of the above. Driveshaft length varies by an inch or so.
Be sure to pay attention to bell housings if you go NV4500. It must match cast iron blocks, and have correct clutch release for the 4500 you choose. Don't try to mod a Dodge Ram 4500 to fit into a GM.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk