TripleL40's '80 Chevy Luv 4x4 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Just purchased this 1980 Luv 4x4. She's a little rough but I like it. Paid $450 for it not running. Got it home and the only reason it wouldn't run was the fact that the points were completely worn out. Found a new pair in the glovebox and it fired right up! Previous owner had some kid working on it for him who put new shocks on it, a new seat in it, and new coil, plugs, condenser, cap and rotor, etc, but never got around to putting points into it.

The body is in okay shape. Grille and bumper are pretty dented up, but I'm working on straightening them out now. Drivers rocker is caved in a little and the top of the cab has quite a few dents. Only body I'm really concerned about is the floorboards, which are almost rusted through. No big deal though, as it will be pretty easy to cut them out and weld in new sheet metal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It's my understanding that LUV 4x4's were all converted.

What type of front suspension and diff does it have?

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
It's my understanding that LUV 4x4's were all converted.

What type of front suspension and diff does it have?

No, 79 and newer were offered from the factory with 4x4. They have IFS front with Isuzu 10bolt front differentials.

Everything on mine is starting to wear out and parts are hard to come by. I have a Dana 30 I will be swapping under the front after a while.

When I got mine home I found that everything was missing from inside the passenger rear drum. No shoes, no springs, no adjuster, no hardware. And I can't order any of those parts, so I just swapped a Ford 8.8 4.10 Limited Slip Disc Brake axle under the rear from an Explorer. For now, its 5 lug rear and 6 lug front, but that'll be remedied when I get my 30 swapped under the front.

Plan for now is to just drive it, but soon it'll be getting V6/5speed swap (Probably TBI 4.3/NV4500 I have laying around), and Dana 30 swap with full XJ coil suspension.

Finished swap