Treasure Yard Score!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forget they made those composite driveshafts. When I did 80 swap on my 99 1500 NBS I wasn't sure if I was going to need to shorten the steel D.S. I figured I would cut it and welded it myself with my "Mex-redneck"-code-approved welding skills, just enough to hold up until I got it to a driveshaft shop. But in the end I had enough adjustment on the center carrier mount (it has some slots on the holes) to make up for the small difference, so no need for cutting.

I don't know if the composite D.S. was only a GMT-400 thing. I've never seen a composite D.S. on the GMT-800 platform now that I think about it. Only steel and the larger O.D. aluminum.

So yeah, the cutting and welding a composite D.S. was a dumb comment, LOL...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as shortening that driveshaft, I'm pretty sure it's all aluminum, with a wrap of some composite sort of material - perhaps for strength, also possibly for sound deadening? I haven't personally experienced it, but I've read of others where the wrap has failed and the driveshaft underneath is fine. Others have had the wrap fail because the driveshaft corroded and the swelling cracked the wrap.

This is what I was thinking as well.

My red '97 originally had a one piece aluminum driveshaft but it never had the composite wrap, just bare aluminum.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My '88 RCLB had the wrap, my '98 ECSB does not. I lost a u joint on the 88 which resulted in the driveshaft freeing itself from the diff which destroyed the wrap. I removed it and noticed no difference.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I forget they made those composite driveshafts. When I did 80 swap on my 99 1500 NBS I wasn't sure if I was going to need to shorten the steel D.S. I figured I would cut it and welded it myself with my "Mex-redneck"-code-approved welding skills, just enough to hold up until I got it to a driveshaft shop. But in the end I had enough adjustment on the center carrier mount (it has some slots on the holes) to make up for the small difference, so no need for cutting.

I don't know if the composite D.S. was only a GMT-400 thing. I've never seen a composite D.S. on the GMT-800 platform now that I think about it. Only steel and the larger O.D. aluminum.

So yeah, the cutting and welding a composite D.S. was a dumb comment, LOL...

Our 400s got Dana, GM, and AAM drive shafts. The composites, I believe were a Dana product. The 800s, I believe, got almost (if not all) exclusively AAM shafts....maybe van's got some Dana shafts since they got some Dana axles?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our 400s got Dana, GM, and AAM drive shafts. The composites, I believe were a Dana product. The 800s, I believe, got almost (if not all) exclusively AAM shafts....maybe van's got some Dana shafts since they got some Dana axles?
Does "GM" make RWD axles any more? I thought that was the whole point of AAM--GM sold-off their axle/gearmaking the same way they sold off AC-Delco.

The 8.5", the 9.5", and the 10.5" ring-gear axles are AAM products. I think there's an 11.5 axle used on the C3500HD that's a Dana product. But I don't think there's a "GM" axle in the bunch.

This composite shaft was on a vehicle with a 9.5 AAM axle--but how/why GM selects which driveshaft construction goes with which powertrain is way beyond my pay-grade.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does "GM" make RWD axles any more? I thought that was the whole point of AAM--GM sold-off their axle/gearmaking the same way they sold off AC-Delco.

Yes, GM actually started making an axle again a couple years ago, but I don't know anything about it. It's made at the plant in Grand Rapids, MI. I THINK it's a rear axle, but I'm not sure.... it might be the IRS axle they use in the new SUV's, but that's a completel guess on my part.

GM didn't sell AC Delco, they sold Delphi. GM has bought/sold/folded-into so many brands/companies it's a bit hard to keep straight.

The 8.5", the 9.5", and the 10.5" ring-gear axles are AAM products. I think there's an 11.5 axle used on the C3500HD that's a Dana product. But I don't think there's a "GM" axle in the bunch.

The 11.5" in the 3500HD is a Dana 80. The rest are GM designs, formerly produced by GM, and now produced by AAM. There is also an 11.5" AAM that's roughly based on the 10.5 14BFF.

Some vans did, and maybe still do get Dana axles.... my uncles 3500 van has a Dana FF axle. I don't recall the year, but it's probably mid-oughts.

This composite shaft was on a vehicle with a 9.5 AAM axle--but how/why GM selects which driveshaft construction goes with which powertrain is way beyond my pay-grade.

Any recollection what year that truck was, where you found the composite shaft?

I don't know how they determine it either. I suppose it's a balance between weight of the finished shaft, length and torque requirements.

It's my opinion that many aluminum AAM shafts are garbage. I'm very happy with my steel shaft. I was just looking at it the other day.... The front u-joint is still fine after almost 300K miles. The rear has a little slop. It's been replaced once before.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM didn't sell AC Delco, they sold Delphi. GM has bought/sold/folded-into so many brands/companies it's a bit hard to keep straight.
Did they sell "Remy"? I'm thinking it was once organized as "Delco-Remy" and now Remy is either stand-alone or out-of-business.
Any recollection what year that truck was, where you found the composite shaft?
Old enough to have RWAL. GM went to 4WAL (EBC4) in '92.
New enough to have the aluminum-body RWAL. My friend's '89 has the cast-iron RWAL.

So 90--91, I guess.

I don't know how they determine it either. I suppose it's a balance between weight of the finished shaft, length and torque requirements.
I was amazed to see a lightweight driveshaft under a Diesel.

My '97 is an extended-cab, short-box, but with the 10.5" axle. I wonder if this shaft will fit that truck; and whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. I don't remember what sort of driveshaft is on that truck.

It's my opinion that many aluminum AAM shafts are garbage. I'm very happy with my steel shaft. I was just looking at it the other day.... The front u-joint is still fine after almost 300K miles. The rear has a little slop. It's been replaced once before.
Given a 1-piece rear driveshaft, I think the ratio of rear U-joints to front U-joints is about 3:1. It's almost always the rear U-joint that's failed. Not so often the front one goes.

No road-splash on the front U-joint, and less movement of the shaft up 'n' down. If there's other factors, I can't think of 'em.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Did they sell "Remy"? I'm thinking it was once organized as "Delco-Remy" and now Remy is either stand-alone or out-of-business.

Yes Remy was sold at some point. I think it was earlier than Delphi. They were recently, purchased by Borg Warner.

Old enough to have RWAL. GM went to 4WAL (EBC4) in '92.
New enough to have the aluminum-body RWAL. My friend's '89 has the cast-iron RWAL.

So 90--91, I guess.

Ok, so Pre-AAM. AAM came to be in March of 94, when GM sold a portion of Saginaw (in whatever form it was in) to investors.

I was amazed to see a lightweight driveshaft under a Diesel.

My '97 is an extended-cab, short-box, but with the 10.5" axle. I wonder if this shaft will fit that truck; and whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. I don't remember what sort of driveshaft is on that truck.

What u-joints are in the "new" shaft? My 1-ton (with 10.5 14BFF) RCLB uses 1355s which are the AAM/GM equivalent to the Dana Spicer 1350.

Given a 1-piece rear driveshaft, I think the ratio of rear U-joints to front U-joints is about 3:1. It's almost always the rear U-joint that's failed. Not so often the front one goes.

No road-splash on the front U-joint, and less movement of the shaft up 'n' down. If there's other factors, I can't think of 'em.

Yes, I've read that the rears take more abuse..... similar to outer tie-rods compared to inners, I guess. I've actually got another one that I bought years ago, when I replaced it the first time. It was purchased for the front, but then I found I didn't need it. Then I've got a couple of Rockauto clearance specials too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What u-joints are in the "new" shaft? My 1-ton (with 10.5 14BFF) RCLB uses 1355s which are the AAM/GM equivalent to the Dana Spicer 1350.
I'll have to measure them when/if it quits raining.

Yes, I've read that the rears take more abuse..... similar to outer tie-rods compared to inners, I guess. I've actually got another one that I bought years ago, when I replaced it the first time. It was purchased for the front, but then I found I didn't need it. Then I've got a couple of Rockauto clearance specials too.
Extra parts on the shelf is a good thing.

Well, until your survivors have to dispose of 'em all.