Treasure Yard Score!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was amazed to see a lightweight driveshaft under a Diesel.
Have to remember the 6.2/6.5 are not power houses. If I remember right the 7.4's are rated the same or slightly higher on HP/TQ and towing. From what I have read they where the option for better fuel mileage over the 7.4.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my axle shafts swapped today, the K1500 is assembled and driveable.

The Treasure Yard axle has some damage I'm not thrilled with. Turns out to be less of a "score" than I'd hoped; but still saved me having to buy an axle shaft for the K1500. One axle shaft has some pitting on the bearing area, but the seal area is fine. The other shaft was great, is now in the K1500. The pitted shaft from the K1500 is now in the Treasure Yard axle; so both shafts are now compromised. They'd both be usable in a pinch, but certainly not optimum.
You must be registered for see images attach

There's major wear on the spider gears, which I totally did not expect. The side gears seem to be not affected by the torn-up spiders. 'Course, that all goes away if I put a locking differential in this core at some point.

Brake shoes and drums are "OK". Drums should be turned, but not horrible. Shoes have lots of material left. Adjusters aren't seized.

3.73 ring and pinion look beautiful. Put the thing back together, using the original grease for rust prevention; locked the brake drums on with the lug nuts. Sealed up "for later".

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One axle shaft has some pitting on the bearing area, but the seal area is fine. The other shaft was great, is now in the K1500. The pitted shaft from the K1500 is now in the Treasure Yard axle; so both shafts are now compromised. They'd both be usable in a pinch, but certainly not optimum.
Years ago I had to replace the wheel bearings on my RX-7, and the wheel bearings and a retainer are pressed onto the axle shaft. There's not a good way to press the old sealed bearing and retainer, so the best method is to use a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder, cut the outer race and rollers off, cut most of the way through the inner race on the top and bottom, and use a flat chisel to crack the inner bearing race. I slipped with the grind and put a 1/16" nick in the axle. I didn't have a spare axle, so I went ahead and reinstalled it. I drove it for another eight years with that nicked axle and never had a problem. I think you'll be fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axle shaft I removed from my K1500 axle was a repeat leaker. The guy I bought the axle from had replaced the seals, but it was slimy when I took it apart. I put in new seals, and a few years later that same shaft had slobbered-up the brake shoes again. Another new seal, and new shoes...a year or two later...here I am again with that same side leaking.

The pitting/scoring at the seal area doesn't look that bad...but it's got a long history of seepage on that axle housing. I'd expect the same on the Treasure Yard axle housing it's in now. The other shaft, with the pitting in the bearing-roller area of the shaft, might be OK. Certainly something that could be fixed after the axle was in use, if it turns out to be a problem.