Transmission seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have transmission fluid leaking from the weep hole in the rear drive shaft front yoke and my transmission fluid is low again. Can trans fluid get into the x-fear case and come out this tiny hole.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember correctly the transfer case uses atf for fluid. So that would explain why you have atf coming out. As for why your trans is low is a different story.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I swear I've read about someone having this exact issue with one of these trucks. Something about a bad seal leaking into the transfer case... Trying to find the post but I'm not having any luck.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swear I've read about someone having this exact issue with one of these trucks. Something about a bad seal leaking into the transfer case... Trying to find the post but I'm not having any luck.
I could see the output shaft seal on the trans leaking into the adaptor and the input shaft seal leaking on the t-case letting the trans fluid into the t-case. What would the chances of both seals leaking at the same time.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cleaned everything up and I think it's just coming out of the drive shaft seal, getting on the u-joint and its flinging it everywhere.

The X-fer case is not overfilled so I guess the trans fluid is leaking somewhere else but it all looks dry.

I'll change the seal and put some JB weld on the weep hole.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cleaned everything up and I think it's just coming out of the drive shaft seal, getting on the u-joint and its flinging it everywhere.

The X-fer case is not overfilled so I guess the trans fluid is leaking somewhere else but it all looks dry.

I'll change the seal and put some JB weld on the weep hole.

I wouldn't plug up the weep hole... Those are there to indicate a leak... I would replace the seal and continue to diagnose what is leaking and fix that. Plugging the weep hole won't fix the leak.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did a search I read some have the hole and some don't. What determines if it has a weep hole.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That, I do not know. I just know that if you do have a weep hole, it does have an intended purpose. I would just advise not to block it.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hadn't checked my transfer case or diffs in a few years (bad i know) so i checked em all this spring. trans was a bit low and has been for a while, still acceptable but had slowly been dropping over a couple years. seems to leak around the shifter a bit so i just figured that was it. when i checked the transfer case (which always has a hanging drip too but for the couple years after that started it was never low when i checked it) it was overfull by quite a bit. at least a pint came out of the fill hole. bit of a surprise and a mess. i would have to say, yes the trans can leak into the transfer case.

my question i would like to add. what harm can come? keep the tranny full and i know the case is full