Transmission problem on rebuilt trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So I just did an engine swap on my 98 k1500. From a 305 to a 350. It has a 4l60 transmission that was rebuilt a while ago. I just tried to drive the truck after completing the swap and truck does not shift. It goes into reverse and all other gears fine except when driving does not shift. I scanned the codes and I got 5 different codes. One is for transmission P0700. Transmission shifts fine into all gears just does not shift when in drive. And when my foot is on the brake the truck jerks when shifting into each of the prndl gears. Also my rpm gauge does not work and speedometer works but is completely wrong. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the transmission not shifting?

Attachments

• BDAD8C58-04D8-451F-A16A-92B6C272950D.jpeg
    BDAD8C58-04D8-451F-A16A-92B6C272950D.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 55B71A08-D0D5-4A45-B17E-05B7BD550AC9.jpeg
    55B71A08-D0D5-4A45-B17E-05B7BD550AC9.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 3
  • AFA202BC-767F-424B-BB6B-CBE13F94FC45.jpeg
    AFA202BC-767F-424B-BB6B-CBE13F94FC45.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 58881B35-41AB-491A-A536-B61C13D97246.jpeg
    58881B35-41AB-491A-A536-B61C13D97246.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 2
  • 9D5ED7C0-25DF-4487-9DB6-78EBC5B3ABEE.jpeg
    9D5ED7C0-25DF-4487-9DB6-78EBC5B3ABEE.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 3

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a 4l60 transmission that was rebuilt a while ago.
4L60, or 4L60E? It should have the '60E.

Enormous difference in how the trans is controlled.

I just tried to drive the truck after completing the swap and truck does not shift. It goes into reverse and all other gears fine except when driving does not shift.
How can it possibly go into "all other gears" if it won't shift?

Do you mean it has Park and Neutral, Reverse, and a forward gear when the shift lever is put into OD, D, 2, and 1?

I scanned the codes and I got 5 different codes. One is for transmission P0700. Transmission shifts fine into all gears just does not shift when in drive.
I don't understand how the transmission can "shift fine" at at the same time it "does not shift".

Again, I don't know how you'd verify that you have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and OD if you don't have any shifting. Therefore, you probably do not have "all gears".

Also my rpm gauge does not work and speedometer works but is completely wrong. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the transmission not shifting?
Could be. Did the tach and speedo work properly BEFORE you swapped engines?

My best guess is that the trans is in "limp-home" mode, on a 4L60E you'd only have either second or third gear going forward--I'm too lazy to look up the shift-solenoid chart to see which.

I bet that when the computer is happy again, with all those codes resolved, it'll allow shifting. There's maybe nothing wrong with the transmission, it's just a matter of the computer trying to protect the trans when other systems have failed.

Fix all those codes. Possibly by clearing them, and seeing what comes back. I have absolutely no idea what "Manufacturer Control" means, except that the code reader probably isn't sophisticated enough to display the REAL code meaning. Get rid of that crappy 'code reader' and get a REAL scan tool so you can access the data stream and use bi-directional controls in your diagnosis. Download the '98 service manual from the links posted on this site in one of the Sticky threads. Follow the service-manual diagnostic procedure for each of the codes. With a proper scan tool connected, you may also find that you have a cylinder-specific misfire instead of a "random" misfire.

Beyond that, the Throttle Pedal Sensor alone might be enough to cause the computer to enter Limp Home mode; and the misfire code would be enough to disable the torque converter clutch.

The Transmission Control System code may be a result of the other codes, or it may be independent, signifying a separate fault.

Last edited:

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost sounds like an electrical connector to the transmission was not plugged in. Especially with multiple codes. ECU is also a good thought. It is probably/hopefully something simple. If all was good before the engine swap something was likely missed/damaged in the process.

PCM is also a good thought. Was the PCM from a 2500 or 3500 if swapped? If so it may be looking for a 4L80E

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L60, or 4L60E? It should have the '60E.
How can it possibly go into "all other gears" if it won't shift? ... I don't understand how the transmission can "shift fine" at at the same time it "does not shift".
Again, I don't know how you'd verify that you have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and OD if you don't have any shifting. Therefore, you probably do not have "all gears".
No need to beat the guy up over details, but yes, @Aarondash, details matter. I think it's safe to assume it's a 4L60E and it goes into P-N-R-D but doesn't shift up when moving.

Schurkey's right that you need to resolve the DTCs. Can that scan tool give you data stream? If not, it's garbage. Get into the data stream and see what's giving you outlying information. Troubleshoot that P0121 TPS code first. The P1406, P0700, and P1441 are probably all one issue. The P0300 misfire is a lower priority until it gets rolling.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So I just did an engine swap on my 98 k1500. From a 305 to a 350. It has a 4l60 transmission that was rebuilt a while ago. I just tried to drive the truck after completing the swap and truck does not shift. It goes into reverse and all other gears fine except when driving does not shift. I scanned the codes and I got 5 different codes. One is for transmission P0700. Transmission shifts fine into all gears just does not shift when in drive. And when my foot is on the brake the truck jerks when shifting into each of the prndl gears. Also my rpm gauge does not work and speedometer works but is completely wrong. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the transmission not shifting?
Yea nvm. The computer was not letting it shift but sometimes it would hard shift. I swapped the computer to the 350 one because that’s what other people said but it screwed with the truck. Out stock smoother for the 305 and worked fine. Tranny shifts smooth and no more codes except for evap.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my 94 GMC 4L60E rebuilt. Guy says full rebuild with all new GM parts and solenoids.. Drove it home, it seemed little sluggish but I knew it needed a tune up and just had the intake done so figured timing may be little out.

Did full tune up with AC Delco, plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Fuel filter was done less then 3k miles. I got codes popping up when I went to set timing... 14,28.33.42.54.66. I unplugged what I was told is the ignition wire ( actual name slips my mind )... The timing was out, I set it to 0 degree as it's called for... I cleared ecm by unplugging battery... I now have the codes 42, 66... My transmission feels like its in limp mode... I haven't checked the + (pink) wire for power yet, doing that tomorrow...

Would it safe to say that it's the ecm if the pink wire tested fine...? Or am I missing something else ? I gave much as I feel is enough info... Have any questions, I'm open to answering what I can...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94 GMC
The timing was out, I set it to 0 degree as it's called for... I cleared ecm by unplugging battery... I now have the codes 42, 66...

CODE 42 - Electronic Spark Timing or Bypass Fault

CODE 66 - Air Conditioning Pressure Switch Fault

Are these correct?
Grab a Genuine GM service manual for your vehicle, follow the diagnostic procedure.
Service manuals are downloadable for free using links available on this site.

Would it safe to say that it's the ecm if the pink wire tested fine...? Or am I missing something else ?
It's not "safe" to say it's anything until you do some actual diagnosis.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

CODE 42 - Electronic Spark Timing or Bypass Fault

CODE 66 - Air Conditioning Pressure Switch Fault

Are these correct?
Grab a Genuine GM service manual for your vehicle, follow the diagnostic procedure.
Service manuals are downloadable for free using links available on this site.

It's not "safe" to say it's anything until you do some actual diagnosis.
I got the codes cleared cause I didn't re-connect the timing connecter... I know, smooth move... Anyway, no service code lights after driving it.... Runs better but it acts like it wont shift into 1st gear to take off... Basically everything I said above minus service code lights is going on...I'm thinking an electrical issue that's not telling the transmission to down shift and whatever and feels like its in limp mode... Next question, is there a re-learn on this 4l60e after I had it rebuilt ?