Transmission Depot, good?no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
If I ever get another automatic, this is the only place to buy a trans, no matter where I lived (mere coincidence I currently live 5 blocks from them):http://www.phoenixtrans.com/gm-transmissions/
I would gladly pay out the nose for one of their assemblies

For that kind of money I'd be using Jake's Performance for the 4L80. He stopped doing the 700r4s and 4L60s but the stuff in that link is crazy expensive.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I agree..... There is a difference ...... the added expense will pay for it's self.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I put a certified GM Rebuilt 4L60E in mine about 4 years ago, It has a warranty but I forgot what it was; I haven't had problems with it other than problems that existed before the trans was swapped.
I can't remember the price I would have to find that but they're a good option especially if you can put it in yourself; swapped mine in one night in a few hours.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To bad I am in Omaha where Certified transmission is located. They are supplies for ACDelco and many others and have one the largest facilities in the mid-west, rebuilding the torque convertor in-house and use 7 different dynos to check each unit. I pulled a 4L60e from my son's 03 and it has 2,100 mile on it. I am using the engine but the trans has all high end frictions, steels, sun shell and updates. Used...$850. Sitting on pallet, wet with torque convertor, tail-shaft housing, VSS sensor, range switch capped and sealed. 4X2. Don't know what you have, but it is ready to drop in and add a quart or two...then go.
I would never use a jasper. With Alto Red friction, kolene steels, hard sun-shell, 5 pinion gear sets, large servo, piston, hard pump rings, shift kit and updates will allow a 4L60e to handle 500 pony's.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Oh, I agree, it's insane; but there's a reason for it.

It's obviously been a while since I looked at prices. I compared them to Jakes and it's close. The thing I see in the various cars I've had and forums I visit is a lot of shops have a bunch of hype and people tend to believe what they read on the vendors website as gospel. There is only so much you can do the the 700R4/4l60e, they just aren't going to hold up to 500HP. For 99% of the people still running the 4l60e a good rebuild with a few upgrades will work just fine. No need to get ***** for a hyped trans that's likely just a little better then a basic rebuild. When you get into the 4l80s it's a different story.

I get what you're saying, quality costs money. Sometimes it's more quality or "salesmanship" then you need. I've never heard of Phoenix Transmission, and this is the first time it's come up in a forum for me so I'm skeptical. I know Jake so I'm a little bias.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I put a certified GM Rebuilt 4L60E in mine about 4 years ago, It has a warranty but I forgot what it was; I haven't had problems with it other than problems that existed before the trans was swapped.
I can't remember the price I would have to find that but they're a good option especially if you can put it in yourself; swapped mine in one night in a few hours.

It should be 3 years 36k miles. And if it breaks you can take it to any GM dealer for warranty and they'll cover the labor. All we put in at my work are GM rebuilds anymore. So far no issues, and that's saying something given the abuse these Tahoes get.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
It's obviously been a while since I looked at prices. I compared them to Jakes and it's close. The thing I see in the various cars I've had and forums I visit is a lot of shops have a bunch of hype and people tend to believe what they read on the vendors website as gospel. There is only so much you can do the the 700R4/4l60e, they just aren't going to hold up to 500HP. For 99% of the people still running the 4l60e a good rebuild with a few upgrades will work just fine. No need to get ***** for a hyped trans that's likely just a little better then a basic rebuild. When you get into the 4l80s it's a different story.

I get what you're saying, quality costs money. Sometimes it's more quality or "salesmanship" then you need. I've never heard of Phoenix Transmission, and this is the first time it's come up in a forum for me so I'm skeptical. I know Jake so I'm a little bias.

I'm sure every region has their star. Some might, but I wouldn't lead someone to water if I've never seen the river. I trust Jake does good work too.

Ed Tyer

Reaction score
Check with your local Chevy Dealer. They have a 3 year no milage limit full warranty on their GM Reman transmissions. Sometime they have rebates available too. You can search the web for those. I was 2600 OTD for a 4L60 in my 1989. I could have bought the transmission alone for 1400 plus tax. If you are gonna get robbed....might as well get robbed by the biggest and best...

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these big shops dont take the time to do engines right, I can't see that changing in the trans dept. - cheap parts assembly line work, low pay, results = junk. sure they may work fine..but