Transmission Depot, good?no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a co worker get a trans from a mail order place in Florida. When he got it, it didn't work, so he pulled the pan. The valve body was messed up. He ended up pulling the vlave body from his old trans and using it in the new trans. It worked, but the point is, when you do mail order, you never know what you guna get, kind of like Forest Gumps box of chocolates. The trans was a 4L60E from a about a 2005 Avalanche. So if there is an issue, then you have to send it back, or fix it your self.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
There's only one local shop and I've already had problems with them, that's also why I'm asking for reputable shops online that one would recommend. While I'm aware of the risks of online shops, it's even easier to come by junk around here.

For one example, most recently I had my truck worked on and had the alignment done, and sometime during the process my skid plate came up missing. I mean really, thanks guys. Know what I'm saying? This place is definitely a ********

Ahh, I get you. A specific local shop not so much as local shops in general. I've always been in the metropolis where there are lots of local shops to chose from.

Isn't Jasper located in Kent? That's about 200 miles from here I think

You could crap in a core and get a better rebuilt then Jasper. Some bean counter at work decided we should buy engines from Jasper instead of GM to save a few bucks. When we routinely had to have them "warrantied" three or four times the tune changed and we went back to OE replacements.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, I get you. A specific local shop not so much as local shops in general. I've always been in the metropolis where there are lots of local shops to chose from.

You could crap in a core and get a better rebuilt then Jasper. Some bean counter at work decided we should buy engines from Jasper instead of GM to save a few bucks. When we routinely had to have them "warrantied" three or four times the tune changed and we went back to OE replacements.

Our Metropolis has one trans shop, and he no longer rebuilds his own, he is a Jasper dealer.
Hauled mine sixty miles out on a roll back just to get screwed by another transmission shop that use to have a good reputation. Anyone looking to buy Jasper needs to do the homework they have awful reviews and customer relations on warranty.

Last edited:

mistaake

Reaction score
Why not just buy one from your nearest O'Reilly? $1500 gets you a 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty. No shipping BS involved.

Reaction score
I put a Jasper 4L80E in my '93 C2500 6.5 TD and it lasted all of 40,000 miles. Replaced it with a GM "Goodwrench" rebuild. Price was $2086.49 on 4/15/14. Came with 3 yr./100,000 mile warranty. I've had zero trouble with it and it came with all the mfr. upgrades that have come out for the 4L80E over the years. Now, I haven't pulled any heavy loads with it yet. I have to drag my boys '79 El Camino from NC to CT here pretty soon and if it drops dead on the way, I'll be sure and pass on the news here. Can't find the Jasper price I paid, but I believe it was more than the GM overhauled trans. price. I'll never buy another Jasper component.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Talk to local street-strip drag racers. ( Inquire at your local race track?)....

Reputation is EVERYTHING to a performance transmission builder. They are "old-school" builders.

I had numerous transmission failures ( 700r4 )..... So one of the best builders ( he was local & built our circle-track power-glides) ..His shop rebuilt mine, configured as an " HD - RV - Performance" build, with an in-house built converter. Capable of over 500HP. It has been perfect for over 20 years! ( about $2,200 )

You can call him for advice, in Huntington Beach, Ca. ( California Performance Transmissions - owner is the famed, Art Carr) Google him....

I then worked for him, for a while, to R&R transmissions & installing coolers.

Last edited:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Another option is Summit Racing, they sell transmissions. You could pick up a Hughes Performance or Chevrolet Performance 4L60E for around $2,500 after tax and shipping I bet.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a co worker get a trans from a mail order place in Florida. When he got it, it didn't work, so he pulled the pan. The valve body was messed up. He ended up pulling the vlave body from his old trans and using it in the new trans. It worked, but the point is, when you do mail order, you never know what you guna get, kind of like Forest Gumps box of chocolates. The trans was a 4L60E from a about a 2005 Avalanche. So if there is an issue, then you have to send it back, or fix it your self.

And that is what I don't understand about transmission shops, ok you go in and you say my trans is doing this and this.. Instead of them saying you could possibly have a valve body issue or you should consider replacing the valve body as well. The guy doing mine said yep trans need rebuilt. You dump a load of money into the trans to find you still got the same problem. And had he told me when he was rebuilding I would have said ok go ahead and address the valve body while you are doing it. But it takes many trips back and he never did solve my problem before closing his doors after 23 years in business.
And you would think with a high mile transmission he would know the symptoms being described especially with it being a common problem among 4L60E transmissions.
I don't mind spending to get the job done right, but I am not a dancer and do not enjoy watching hustlers do the tap dance with me. Seems the way of the world anymore is one time business and they don't care if you come back or not. And they don't seem to mind the word of mouth either, just give me the money !

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another issue to consider when buying and shipping, are you installing yourself ? or farming it out to a shop to install. Things get sticky with warranty work when you furnish your own parts... Do you want to eat the labor the second or third time around ?