Transmission cooler line size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive tried searching for the line size coming from the trans to the cooler on a 95 2500 4l80e. Is it 5/16t or 3/8 line. Im starting a list of parts and am thinking about installing a trans temp sensor and do not want to tap into the pan.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's usually 3/8" OD.

There is a port on the driver side of the transmission right above the shifter shaft.
It's 1/8" npt and a sensor will thread right in.
It's usually withing 10* of the factory sensor in the pan.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Circled in red
You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I was unaware of there being a place on the trans that I could use. I will look into that because that would make me feel better the cutting the line to install a block and compression fittings.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I was unaware of there being a place on the trans that I could use. I will look into that because that would make me feel better the cutting the line to install a block and compression fittings.
Yep!
Now if you were to put a temp sensor from the transmission to the cooler you would have a more accurate reading for the highest temp. The outlet port on the transmission is the highest temp since it's feeding off the torque converter outlet.

The port on the side of the transmission is actually a pressure test port. But it's simple to get to and really close to the temperature of the fluid in the pan.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep!
Now if you were to put a temp sensor from the transmission to the cooler you would have a more accurate reading for the highest temp. The outlet port on the transmission is the highest temp since it's feeding off the torque converter outlet.

The port on the side of the transmission is actually a pressure test port. But it's simple to get to and really close to the temperature of the fluid in the pan.

yeah thats where the sensor adaptor says to go in. I might just do it that way so i can get the most accurate reading i can. I don't plan ever getting the trans in this truck hot enough to damage it but having some info on what is going on with it would be nice.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive tried searching for the line size coming from the trans to the cooler on a 95 2500 4l80e. Is it 5/16t or 3/8 line.
Wouldn't it be easier to take a 5/16 and a 3/8 open-end wrench, put it over the tubing, and measure it yourself?

There is a port on the driver side of the transmission right above the shifter shaft.
It's 1/8" npt and a sensor will thread right in.
It's usually withing 10* of the factory sensor in the pan.
If the trans already has a temp sensor, why install another?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to take a 5/16 and a 3/8 open-end wrench, put it over the tubing, and measure it yourself?

If the trans already has a temp sensor, why install another?
Well i would but i am currently out of town for work and the truck is 600 miles away from me so it is kind of hard to measure it. And as of making this thread I was not aware of a temp sensor in the trans. Now that I know this I will figure out how to be able to pull a reading from that sensor and display it in the cab. Every time i searched online nothing came up about the sensor in the pan.