Transmission and carburetor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neighbors obs

Reaction score
I have a 90’ 5.7 tbi with a 4l60e, I’m about to start my project of putting a new engine in it with carburetor on it and swapping to an hm290 5- speed transmission.
I was wondering if I would need a different ECM and some kind custom wiring harness since I will no longer have tbi or an automatic transmission.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated on both fronts from anyone who has experience doing this swap!
-Thanks

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from a VSS signal to the speedometer and cruise control, I cant see why would you need an ECM for a carburated engine.

Custom wiring, maybe. But I'd suspect you could remove the entire computer (passenger side) harness all together and use the one by the master cyl exclusively.

Neighbors obs

Reaction score
Aside from a VSS signal to the speedometer and cruise control, I cant see why would you need an ECM for a carburated engine.

Custom wiring, maybe. But I'd suspect you could remove the entire computer (passenger side) harness all together and use the one by the master cyl exclusively.
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!