Help me decide on a tranny 4l60e

• Stock Gm 4l60 with 3 year warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what gear ratio does the truck have?

4L80E with a good converter.
Gears to match the tire height.
And a tune.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the 4L60e; it's a good enough transmission for its intended purpose, especially if it's not pushing tall gears or big tires.

You have big tires, a lift so lots of aero drag, you like mudding, and you tow stuff. I assume you also have stock 3.42s or 3.73s, either of which would be a problem. Like others have said, get a 4L80e and swap it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only "issue" with the 4L80e is the first gear ratio of 2.47. vs the 1st gear ratio of the 4L60E of 3.06.
Thats why i suggested the good converter and the right gear ratios. Helps tremendously with it being a stock engine.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gears 4.10 35s 4l80e with .75 overdrive = 2200rpm at 75mph and
2500rpm at 65mph in drive
Tow anything still be right in the meat of engine power and cruise anywhere you want. 4l60s are easy to rebuild and cheap. Get used to doing it.

Jacob Hickman

Reaction score
what gear ratio does the truck have?

4L80E with a good converter.
Gears to match the tire height.
And a tune.
It has 3.73 and the only problem with the 4l80 swap for me is the time I’d have to buy another car to drive for now so Ig anyone have good tips on good gas sippers

JasonG

Reaction score
4l80E would be the way to go. (I have in my current k2500) We did a built 4l60e in truck some years ago and with about 280 HP small block nothing crazy but smoked the trans in the mud doing things like mud drags and flying through pits. Also need to mention it was my daily driver. You live you learn. I like to think of the 4l80E as the new TH400 which I personally love. So in agreeing with the post above get the best one you can afford BUT be realistic. if you gonna keep her I would invest in it, if not then get something good enough that will work for now. My trans works for now but when it goes i will be replacing it with a BUILT 4l80e even if i have to save for a year. Hopefully never have to replace it again. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do interested in the out come. As for a gas saver get like and old Toyota Yaris or something like it there like 800-1000 bucks and get 40 mpg or something when your done you can store it in the bed of your truck. haha