Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1997 Suburban with electronic shift-on-the-fly
The previous owner fixed the 4wd by replacing a $50 electronic "solenoid thing" that he said bolted easily into the TCase.
1) Does anyone know what this part would be?
2) Would he have had to replace the fluid to do the job?
Cheers

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are 1500 and 2500 tcases the same? Friend has a manual shift T case from a 99 Taho that I want to put in my 99 k2500 suburban.

RideRed2K16

Reaction score
NP241- manual transfercase, shifter is on floor
NP243- electronic transfercase, push button selector on dash, introduced in '96 I think.
NP246- electronic transfercase, push button selector on dash w/ autotrac, introduced in '98 I believe.

Yours would be the NP241
Beliefs are neat but they're make believe

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another stupid TC question.. the 246 in 2hi should front shaft spin freely. Had bad encoder, changed that but front shaft seems lock like in 4hi. 2000 1500

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 sierra 2500 4x4 8 lug, 5.7, nv4500, NP241C transfer case.

It appears the seal where the rear driveshaft attached is leaking. Bonus, no leaks when parked on downhill slope! Something I read said some aftermarket parts fall inside if used, but uncertain on the provenance of that information. What part or parts is recommended? Thanks!

I agree that Dexron VI (Dexron 6) is thinner than Dextron II or III. However, Valvoline Maxlife appears to be Dexron VI compliant except for having the viscosity of Dexron III. Current recommendations on this fluid? I have used it in almost everything else without issue, except I have not used it in power steering systems

Some confusion I found in the thread and would love for any of you who may be more knowledgeable to sort out:

How would one go about changing the fluid in a NP241 (This is the floor shifted one correct) and what do I need to fill it back up with? Mine is really slow to engage and I don't think it has ever been changed since it was new. I am planning to do a full tune up sometime and am trying to get figure eveything out before hand.
A) the really slow to engage is not the transfer case. It's the thermal actuator in the front diff.
With the thermal actuator (88-97) the times can vary. Mine was 20 seconds before i upgraded to the electric servo type (98+) and now mine is under 2 seconds.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

While not actually a transfer case question.... it is in this thread.
Does this affect the floor shifter NP241C, or only pushbutton models?
The response seems inconsistent.

Nice to know my potential 98 would be different than my 97, if applicable.

This link is dead, can an equivalent be found and posted? Thanks.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it hard on transfer case to shift from 4 hi to 4 lo while stopped?

Not as hard as shifting at 30. The only risk of shifting while stationary that I'm aware of is if it doesn't go in, generally you want just a hint of movement so everything finds its way home. But I've found my dually seems happiest when I grab 4lo at a standstill.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I have a stupid question. My 98 grinds goin between 2 n 4. Had to use 4lo in reverse to get truck to move. Before I did axle swap it was churning the front wheels but rears were locked. Truck engages in reverse just fine but will lock up back wheels if it rolls too far in reverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevenGomez123