Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you pulled the axle shaft out of the diff case there is a thrust washer in there that has a tendency to fall. It is preventing that axel shaft from connecting with the diff. You need to pull it apart again, remove the axle housing tube and put the thrust washer back in place (if not damaged) with some grease to hold it there

Sorry didn't mean to be ignorant to ur advice..u were right! took it apart and fixed it. nothing was damaged. thanks for the advice

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't mean to be ignorant to ur advice..u were right! took it apart and fixed it. nothing was damaged. thanks for the advice

No problem man! No harm no foul. Glad you were able to fix it right away instead if chasing your tail with other parts

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I'm looking at getting a 95 z71. the guy that owns it says that theres "a large gray fuse that lets it shift smoothly in 4x4" that needs replaced. Now i've never messed with the 4x4's so i have no idea if that's correct or not and i guess by fuse he probably means one of the relays? I guess what i'm asking is does that sound like its really the problem or that it's something else? and if so what fuse(relay) would i need to get and where is it at?

jonjunk

Reaction score
Hi guys my first post, I have a 94 gmc z71 it has a vibration while driving hwy speed but goes away when I let off the throttle (auto trans) mechanic friend says it's probably a stuck u joint but is it possible it's the tcase? He just guessed never drove the truck so idk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked in this thread...I have a 97 with electronic shifting (NP246)....I guess there is no neutral in the transfer case like the old lever shifted ones?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No neutral with standard push button shift. It it had auto 4x4 I believe that has a neutral on it

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what kind of tcase would you need to use on a solid axle swap with a passanger drop? and what kind of vehicle could i find one on? lastly what would fit mine? i have a 94 k1500 with auto trans and floor shift tcase