Transfer case stupid question thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the H in Dex III-H?
The very first commercially-successful, mass-produced automatic transmission was the Hydromatic. At first, it used engine oil as "trans fluid", and it was intended to be changed about as often as engine oil.

Eventually GM created "Type A" "transmission" fluid, soon replaced with Type A, Suffix A.

The suffix letter "A" is important here. Major changes in the formulation got a number and suffix upgrade, minor upgrades got only a suffix letter upgrade.

The first Dexron fluid was "Dexron B".

Then Dexron II-C. Later, II-D, and then II-E.

Another big upgrade called Dexron III-F, (which is absolutely, positively NOT NOT NOT related to "Type F" fluid for Fords) then III-G, and finally III-H. Dexron III-H is the latest, bestest version of Dexron III. Well, except for Dexron III-K, which is newer, but only for manual transmissions.

The initial big-deal synthetic Dexron was Dexron VI-J. (As with other letter-based ID systems aside from Roman numerals, the letter "I" is not used due to confusion with the number "1") And, of course, just because GM is run by total morons, all the newer versions of trans fluid don't really follow this time-tested, multi-decade-proven system. Dexron HP, Dexron LV, Dexron ULV...hell, they're even using the Dexron name for non-automatic-trans-fluid lubricants.

Wikipedia "Dexron" has detailed info.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, of course, just because GM is run by total morons, all the newer versions of trans fluid don't really follow this time-tested, multi-decade-proven system.

Coming soon: "Dexron-eXtreme!"

I bought O'Reillys Dexron-III for the transmission in WCJr. Runs just fine. I'm sure it'd be just as suitable in your transfer case.

HGKx

Reaction score
GM does not authorize Dex 6 as being backwards-compatible for non-transmission applications. It is backwards-compatible for all Dexron applications in actual automatic transmissions. Therefore I'm thinking that Dex 6 is not appropriate for transfer cases.

"Dex-Merc" or similar names are (unofficially) intended to be direct replacements for Dexron III-H. So Dex III "is" available, but without the Dexron trade name on the bottle. (and, unfortunately, without any guarantee of quality or compatibility, so buy from a trusted source.)

GM's insistence on not licensing the Dexron trade name for the older versions of Dexron is why GM "invented" Autotrac II, which--so far as I can tell--is merely Dexron III-H with blue dye instead of red dye.
Correct?

Thanks for the help here and on my other thread!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2