Transfer case stuck in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I changed the fuse on my 4wd and was able was able to get it to go into 4wd finally. Unfortunately it wouldn't come out so we tried putting in 4hi then to 2hi. Going back and forth between neutral and drive. And the 4wd light would stay on and the front driveshaft was still turning. We even shifted from 4lo to 2hi while in neutral, obviously, and even tried turning off the truck and turning it back on. Nothing seemed to work so I just took out the front driveshaft to drive in 2wd. Low range worked so I know the t case is still shifting just the actuator might be stuck ? I have a np241 on a 91 GMC k1500. Any ideas on what might be causing the issue ? I bought a posi lok cable and plan on installing that here soon so I'm hoping not to have this issue with the posi lok.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why the light is still on but have you tried pulling the fuse to see if the front axle will disconnect? Did you find out why the fuse was blown in the first place? Is your transfer case actually still locked in 4wd or is the front axle still locked in causing the shaft to turn?

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why the light is still on but have you tried pulling the fuse to see if the front axle will disconnect? Did you find out why the fuse was blown in the first place? Is your transfer case actually still locked in 4wd or is the front axle still locked in causing the shaft to turn?
Will have to install front d shaft and check when I get a chance. Buddy's little brother was helping by putting fuses in, guessing he may not have put a good one in. I'll have to give it a shot when I get the time. Thanks for your time

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
possibly a bad transfer case switch that is always sending power to the front axle actuator?

You must be registered for see images attach