Transfer case shift knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've owned these trucks since '89 and can't recall ever having a problem removing the tc shift knob. But I've now got two trucks in the driveway that I'm working on floorpans and I can not for the life of me get either knob to budge. I'm gonna break a wrist with the strap wrenches. Any of you fellers, or ladies, have a tool, or trick, to help a man out? (Nothing in the search)

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 95-up ones I've had luck just pulling up has hard as I could and eventually they come off. If it's the earlier design, I'm surprised someone would put it on so tight. If you're able to source replacements at the wrecking yard might just be worth using a chain wrench just so you can get them off.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had luck with a rubber hammer knocking it off. But mine may not have been as tight as yours.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally back up front on the floors.

So thank you hotrodz06 and packer0440.

For cripes sake, the tc shift knobs have been a press fitting since 95? Since my previous 400 trucks were all pre-95, and I have never removed the tc knob on my 99 since buying it new, I have been trying to unscrew it. I'm still chuckling, as I'm sure some of youz guyz were also. Oh well. Hope this helps another old fart in the future, since the 99 service manual just says "remove the shift knob", with an illustration of the old knob and what looks like a threaded rod.

Last edited: