Transfer case issue I think? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaydub

Reaction score
Tcase issue maybe. Just thought I would ask before I go replacing things. I am pretty positive it's my transfer case but this is the issue Truck clunks and grinds from under the truck, wont move as if its stuck then itll make a clunk noise break free and start moving then clunk as it is moving, and will only move so far forwards and backwards before it is stuck again, grinds going into 2, 4h 4l and N, it clunks coasting in gear but if I give it gas it makes a horrid grinding noise and goes no where. If I switch transfer case in or out of 4wd and wait then try putting it back in park itll grind the same as when I give it throttle. I am thinking tcase!? It shifts fine and doesn't act as if clutches are burnt up. I took off the drive line and rotated case and I can here a clunking noise likely from case and it gets stuck when i try to rotate it reverse then brakes free when I give it some muscle and repeats same as when I was driving it Truck is a 94 k2500 4l60e with np241c tcase. I haven't used 4wd since I bought it. Yes I have searched all over the internet haha and can't seem to find a issue like this

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you pulled the driveshaft did you happen to pull on the output shaft to see how much play there is? There is a snap ring that holds the shaft in place next to the bearing. If it is broken it will allow the shaft to move in and out causing a misalignment of the gears inside and cause an issue.
Pull the driveshaft again and unbolt the tail shaft housing off the case and look for any broken pieces of the snap ring that may have fallen into the housing or may be still in place but stretched out enough to allow the output shaft to move more than it should.