Transfer Case Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the forum consensus on the proper fluid for my 243C and 246 T-cases? Is it still conventional fluid or has there been any updates on other (synthetic) fluids?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still the same. Dexron 3 for the NP241 and NP243. According to GM you should not use Dexron 6 in transfer cases that originally called for Dexron 3.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc (Dexron III) in the 4L80-E, NP241C, and also in the power steering system. Still plenty of manufacturers of Dexron III out there. As long as it is licensed Dexron III, it's just as good as the old GM Dexron III.

No need for me to use Dexron VI when these trucks used Dexron III and Dexron VI didn't exist at that time.

My understanding is that the NP243C uses same fluid as the NP241C. Only the NP246C needs that special fluid (Auto-Trak II).

Edit: So apparently manufacturers can't put Dexron III on their labels (due to license no longer existing),so they call their products "Dex/Merc." (No biggie.)

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run Dex 6 on the older 4L80e units, only because I have the newer units on some of my trucks (that were specified with Dex 6) and don't want to stock 2 types of ATF fluids...:rolleyes:

I've got a truck with the NP246...I forget those internal clutches are pretty much the same as the transmission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My understanding is that the NP243C uses same fluid as the NP241C. Only the NP246C needs that special fluid (Auto-Trak II).

You are absolutely correct, I don't know why I confused the NP243 with the NP246. Editing my earlier post now.

As long as it is licensed Dexron III, it's just as good as the old GM Dexron III.

IIRC none of it is technically licensed by GM any more, hence the GM recommended replacement that I mentioned earlier.

Edit: So apparently manufacturers can't put Dexron III on their labels (due to license no longer existing),so they call their products "Dex/Merc." (No biggie.)

Yup, you got it.