Transfer case flashes in 4hi/ horn does not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timmy5677

Reaction score
I have a 1997 gmc suburban the transfer case quit working as well as the horn. Is there a ground somewhere that connects the two?

the vehicle was working fine, but I parked it for 2 months and now this happened.

the switch in the dash lights up in 2HI but flashes in 4LOW and 4HI, I hear something cluncking when I go to 2hi to 4hi.

I have already replaced the ignition switch and turn signal switch.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think the horn and 4WD electrical circuits are connected in any way but I could be wrong...

The flashing switch issue sounds like a failed 4WD actuator. I had the exact same issue in my '97 GMC K1500 Suburban a couple months back. 4-Hi and 4-Lo would just flash endlessly and never engage. New actuator on the front axle fixed it right up.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would also be a good idea to check your fuses in the panel on the driver's side of the dash if you haven't already. Also depending on where the truck was sitting for those two months you might want to check your wiring closely before spending any money on parts. I've never had it happen on one of these trucks, but I have had rodents chew through wiring on other vehicles.