Transfer case delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THEswinginD

Reaction score
I purchased a 89 k1500 that had the front CVs and driveshaft removed so it's effectively a 2WD truck. Now my question is, with the only remnants of a 4WD being the transfer case, is there a way to delete it? Like get a new longer driveshaft and some sort of adapter for the tail of the 700r4 to said driveshaft? The transfer case is sounding like it's in need of a rebuild so if it costs less or equal to, I'd rather just delete it and call it a day.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have 2 options pull ur trans out change output shaft and tailhousing for 2wd version or put 2wd trans in it and also get 2wd driveshaft

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t I read somewhere that the torque on the cv nut helps keep the hub / bearing together? I think you need at least the outer stub bolted to the hub assembly.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As was mentioned, remove the transfer case, swap transmission to a 2wd and a 2wd rear driveshaft.

Changing the output shaft requires the entire tranmission to be taken apart. The output shaft is like the first big part that goes in when building a trannie.

I missed where mentioned the front differential is gone. I agree that may be an issue with bearings, not sure.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheaper, easier, and less stupid to put new CVs and front driveshaft and put in a junkyard t case.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This^^^

I didn't know you could run a 4wd with the CV shafts removed..........

You can't.... well not very well. I've read that some guys hack off the spindle side of the CV shaft and install just that. I think it MAY be possible to run 2wd GMT-800 hubs on our trucks. That would be the best method, I think, if it's actually doable. The mounting flange looks the same, but I have no idea of the brake side would work on a 400.