Trans dropping to idle in 3,2,1. Works in D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlohaOBS

Reaction score
So i’ve had my 4l60E on my 96’ rcsb completely rebuilt by a reputable trans shop. Noticed a sloppy shift from 1-2 after a month of driving. The sloppyness progressed and becomes more noticeable at higher rpms. Then the other day as i was rolling down a steep grade on the freeway, I put the transmission into “3” instead of OD. The rpms dropped to nearly idle speed with the gas pedal released… & when the gas pedal is pressed, the engine free-revs to around 3k rpm before it clicks in and actually gives me any power. RPM’s drop back to idle slowly as soon as the gas pedal is released. The also happens in 2nd & 1st if manually selected at their appropriate speeds. The problem seems to only happen if I manually select a gear. Not that I usually column-shift but its very concerning being its a nearly $3600 trans. Am I dealing with a torque convertor issue? Or could the clutches have somehow overrun themselves? I have contacted the trans shop as the transmission is now under warranty since it was rebuilt & installed and scheduled to bring it in.