Trans cooler line leak help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman 800-755

Better pictures are available here:

OK, so that's NOT a flare fitting into the radiator. If it's leaking there, you could try the Permatex product... but it looks like Dorman has already applied some sort of sealant / thread locker on the fitting already...

The female portion is obviously for a flared tube end. You should not apply sealant there.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One torque spec I found for the nut on the transmission's oil cooler pipe was given in the 4L80E section of the 1998 GMT400 service manual. There, they say 20'#.

Click on this image to expand it for detail, look for "Transmission Oil Cooler Line to Radiator Nut"

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's another one, from the 700R4 section of the 1989 GMT400 manual, which says 21'# for the line to the transmission and 27'# for the line to the radiator.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting 27'# on that fitting. Using a backup wrench on that Dorman part, and applying 27'# to the nut on the transmission tube... well, I might try it. I would try 20'# first and if it didn't leak, then "done". If not, then maybe squeeze it tighter, but use 27'# as a maximum.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will definatly try the loosen and retighten and see what happens.

Yeah its not leaking at radiator its coming out of where the factory lines threads into the female side of the adapter

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not leaking at radiator its coming out of where the factory lines threads into the female side of the adapter
Take it apart, take a photo of the tube end (likely flared) and the adapter interior (might be inverted-flare, might be some other sealing method.)

IF both are intended to seal on the flare, you can go crazy tightening/loosening to see if that helps. If the tube end and fitting are just not compatible, you'll need to make other corrections.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While you’re messing with this, you should replace that rubber cap above the transmission lines. It’ll start cracking in a few months. There are threads on a fix, usually using a piece of heat-resistant silicone hose or cap.

The GM radiators are still available and don’t require you to fix them to make it work. Check Rockauto, but they’re often cheaper shipped through Amazon.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i tries the new dorman fitting...worked perfect...but..i should have got to.

The bottom connectir is leaking. I guess i didnt notice since the top was streaming fluid onto the bottom.

I didnt get a picture but the inaide was definetly different. Qhen i compared it felt like the line seated more properly onto the dorman fitting.

Hopefully i can pick up another tomorrow and then be good.