Trans cooler line leak help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just installed a new radiator...and of course it came with adapter for the trans lines. Filled up the radiator and started the truck..noticed the top line had a pretty good leake coming from it. I re seated the line and then started again..again a small stream coming from when the factory lines thread into the adapter to the radiator.

Is there a o ring kit or somethimg i can do to fix this without having to tale radiator back out?

You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you made it clear the leak was b/t the original transmission line and the adapter. Regardless, I assumed the leak might be at the radiator since you mentioned taking out the radiator and not simply removing the adapter.

First, check the torque spec for that fitting. If you weren't provided with a spec, Russell Performance or Aeroquip catalogs provide specs (see attached 1-page .pdf). GM certainly has a spec for the transmission line flared-end fitting.

Assuming they're "torqued to spec":

If that's a pipe thread fitting b/t the adapter / radiator, you could apply a sealant.

For flared-end fittings, check for deformation of the mating parts or debris at the interface. If a part is deformed, then repair / replace.

My $0.02

Oh, and use a back-up wrench.

(edit: I checked my Aeroquip catalog and found this in the section on adapters, as well as some torque recommendations which are in the 1-page .pdf attached below)

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Aeroquip Performance Products catalog 2013.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. Ill check it this evening.

Im gonna pick up a ne adapter just in case.

What kind if sealent would yall recomend to fix this

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind if sealent would yall recomend to fix this

If the fitting into the radiator is pipe thread, which I doubt it is, I would use this:

Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant- 6ml Tube (59214)​

The radiator fittings are likely “flared”, and the transmission line fittings are “flared” IIRC (they certainly appear to be).

This sealant is not appropriate for a flared fitting, as the seal is at the flare not the fitting's thread.

You might browse this thread:

Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not !00% sure how much I tourqed it...I just remember that when I took the line loose I was thinking wow this isn't tight.

I ordered a new trans line adapter and some teflon tape for the threads just in case.. Hope it's just a bad adapter and the factory line isn't sitting flush.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am not !00% sure how much I tourqed it...I just remember that when I took the line loose I was thinking wow this isn't tight.

I ordered a new trans line adapter and some teflon tape for the threads just in case.. Hope it's just a bad adapter and the factory line isn't sitting flush.

Don't use Teflon tape, go to the parts store and get the sealant spec'd above. It's meant for contact with automotive fluids.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do..and there is no oring or anything right..

The line should just fit into the fitting and then tightend up.

Hope this is just a bad adapter Fitting.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new trans line adapter

Do you have a part number or other details on that adapter? It would help to see it.

and some teflon tape for the threads just in case..

As @Supercharged111 said, don't use Teflon tape here, even if it's a pipe thread fitting. The reason: Small pieces of tape can find their way into the oil, and then into the valve body, and Mr. Tranny can become unhappy. The same issue exists with engine oil fittings; don't use Teflon tape, it may get into the oil and then into the lifters.

Hope it's just a bad adapter and the factory line isn't sitting flush.

Roger that.

In that thread I mentioned earlier (to Jalopyjournal), a few guys in that thread said to try loosening and re-tightening the fitting MANY times, they claimed it would likely seal. I guess all you lose trying is your time. Read the thread if you want to see the details.