Trans cooler install with drain valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diptenkrom

Reaction score
I have been planning on a trans cooler upgrade and have all the stuff to go forward with this now, as per this thread - https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade.18104/

I have 1997 k1500 suburban with the 5.7.

I have a twist to add, and want opinions, as well as input, cause I have not been able to find what i was wanting.

I was thinking of either adding a petcock to the top of the cooler, to serve as an air bleeder, as well as a possible quick line drain system. it would have a barb fitting to put probably a 3/8" hose or so on it to drain off fluid as a change out maintenance interval thing every 3-4 oil changes push out a gallon of fluid and change it out. it would never get old and worn out this way, and be much simpler and cleaner of a process than any other method I have seen.

The other thought I had would not help in bleeding off the possible trapped air, but could still be used as a drain and fill, would be an inline drain valve. similar to what you would see in a large radiator hose at the bottom to get rid of the most fluid in an easy to get to spot. This is obviously for routine maintenance, and probably going to get some negative feedback here on this, but I am looking for a way to make this easy, as transmissions are not cheap, but fluid is (relatively).

What I am really looking for is a way to put a fitting on the cooler and have it seal with a hose fitting for draining first and foremost.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but if you wanted that. Sounds like time for brazing a t in.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My plan to achieve roughly the same (and because my saddle cooler has been bypassed) is to fit a thermostat (with barbed tails) into the soft lines close to the cooler. When I want to drain fluid, I'll merely disconnect a hose. The soft lines where they pass under the main rad is my chosen spot for the 'stat.
I'll be using a pump to add fluid. Should be easy enough to prime the cooler through one of those connections with the pump then reconnect sharpish before it empties.

Diptenkrom

Reaction score
that is a plan. i have done that before. i was just trying to make it a little easier and less messy... I dont like disconnecting/reconnecting hoses over and over.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Not thrilled with the concept of draining a gallon of ATF now and then, and pretending that keeps the fluid fresh. When are you cleaning the debris out of the pan, and when do you change the in-pan filter? This is a lot of work--and some expense--for nothing.

2. When was "trapped air" in the cooler a cause for concern? The air (if there is any in the cooler) gets harmlessly blown into the transmission about seven seconds after you start the engine.