Trailer Brake Controller Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some searching but couldn't find an answer.

I will be towing with my '99 K2500 Burb 7.4 Vortec, 4l80e, 4.10 gears. This spring I will be doing a lot of yard maintenance and need to tow a heavy dump trailer. Later we will be getting an RV that I will be towing. So I am looking for a trailer brake controller.

The parts truck had one, so I took it and thought about using it, but I would really like a proportional controller. So I was looking at this one.

Any input on if this is a good controller, or things to look at/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, the way these things work, is, the harder you press your brakes, the more electrical signal the controller sends down the wire. They are all or all should be adjustable on that ratio. Also all of this is proportional to the trailer brakes, as to how well the trailer stops. So EG, a camper trailer will have bigger and more brakes than say a boat trailer will. If the brakes are to sensitive for the camper trailer, then you adjust the adjustment knob to give you more braking power, and vice versa. Also any controller will have a slide knob to actuate the brakes by hand. This is important when things go south on you, and you need to stop the trailer from pushing the truck without using the truck brakes, or if the trailer just needs more braking in whatever given situation.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m curious does your suburban have a factory trailer prep option on it?? I don’t know when they started installing them or making it an option
I honestly do not know. I haven't looked to closely. I have a 7 Pin connector, but that's as far as I have looked so far.

Big G

Reaction score
I have a Prodigy 3 on my tow rig and have been very pleased with it. I have 3 different trailers I use on a regular basis ranging from a 6x12 enclosed trailer all the way the way up to a tri-axle boat trailer that hauls my 32ft cabin cruiser. My boat trailer even has electric over hydraulic brakes and it operates those brakes flawlessly.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Tekonsha products are the way to go. I've had a Prodigy P2 for years and its been great. Adjustable on the fly. Works at crazy angles up and down.

My 94 k1500 has the trailer towing package with wiring and all that, so easy to hook up.

I started towing so many years ago (1988) that my first brake control in my 65 Chevy Van was a Kelsey-Hayes that tapped into the brake fluid lines, worked pretty good. But eventually started using the P2. Yes the old van with a replacement 292 towed a 5,000 lb trailer all over the western USA, still have it and still will tow.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Tekonsha Voyager XP on my 93 Silverado always has worked great for utility , boat ,and car hauler trailers I have. I like being able to adjust everything to suit the trailer and load.