Traction control problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle N

Reaction score
I had a 383 tbi built for my truck. It was built to the most extreme a TBI engine could be built. It's got about 350 horsepower to the tires. All it does is smoke the tires when I punch it. Anyone know of a inexpensive way to get some traction? I already have traction bars and switching to a 4 link is more than I want to spend.
Thanks
Kyle N

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What're you running for tires and tire size?
Is the rear end spinning both or just one?
Plenty of 2WD trucks get a lot more power to the ground with less issue.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 383 tbi built for my truck. It was built to the most extreme a TBI engine could be built. It's got about 350 horsepower to the tires. All it does is smoke the tires when I punch it. Anyone know of a inexpensive way to get some traction? I already have traction bars and switching to a 4 link is more than I want to spend.
Thanks
Kyle N
Do you have a locker in the rear end ? Is it a G80? How high is the back of the truck? I dont have near as much HP as you, but I was having the 1 wheel peel issue, so I dropped the rear 2 inches ( now sits level) with a shackle kit, then I welded some 1.5 inch thick X 3 inch wide plates around my reveiver hitch. 1 to the bottom, and 1 to the back side. This added about 200 LBS to the hitch. And I am running some 275/60/15 tires. In your case, you may need an even wider tire. Mickey Thompson tires arent called sticky mickys for nothing. A soft rubber compound like that will give you bite, but a soft rubber will not give you a lot of miles ether. You wont get 65,000 miles put of a set of M.T. tires. Oh and keep in mind, you want soft rubber for grip. A lot of air pressure will make your tires harder. I run 32 PSI in mine, not 36 or 38 like it says on the tire. This is a max pressure, not so much what you should run. I look at tire ware and run as little or close to that, as I can.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and after doing my mods, my truck will spin the 1 tire, but it is much better. I can now take off when the light turns green, in the rain, without sitting there spinning the tire. Dont get me wrong, it still will burn a tire, but it is much much better. Here are a few pics.
You must be registered for see images attach