Traction aid for open ff 14 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not a bolt in swap, Though. The spring pads and shock mounts need to be moved, plus the possibility of needing brake work to get the rear disks to work right.
Any idea if GM changed the wheel to wheel mounting distance on the disc brake FF axles? or just the spring pad and shock mounts?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea if GM changed the wheel to wheel mounting distance on the disc brake FF axles? or just the spring pad and shock mounts?

Good question.

Looks like:

67.5" WMS for GMT400 14BFF drum setup:
http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

66" WMS for GMT 800 14FF disc setup:
https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/rear-axle-width-srw-vs-drw.287578/

That's s surprise to me. The newer trucks have are narrower rear?

Also, the donor truck should be a '01+ 2500"HD" or 3500 SRW. They made 99+ 2500 non-HD and those have the 14BSF. But all 2500/2500HD/3500 had rear disc regardless. The 99-02 disc and 03-07 drum only occurred on the 1500 10 bolt trucks.

Probably easier if OP stays with same generation axle if he goes that route?

Olds455

Reaction score
I had a lock rite in my 95 c1500 5.7 both 3.42 and 3.73 for many thousands of miles. Probably 150 to 180k or more. Actually two of them since the teeth wore out twice now. I’m back to the open diff after the second set wore. When the teeth wear, it would skip teeth and I would have zero drive until they caught abruptly and shook the truck terribly. I had very few instances where I didn’t like the performance. The lock rite and Detroit locker function with the same principle and should behave similarly. My truck was definitely a street truck with only a hand full of instances of off road use. It could hang a wheel in the air and still keep going. It could even stop and restart motion with one wheel in the air. It was audible when it would ratchet when making tight turns or into a parking space. Would get noticed by coworkers when I pulled in. The truck would noticeably push into corners if I was accelerating. The push immediately stopped if I coasted or even just maintained speed. The truck is long enough ECSB that the front end still had enough authority to turn and overcome the locked axle. I was never concerned with it. Having the locker really made street driving easy in rain or dry, especially while making right turns at intersections. I could easily add throttle without worry about wheel spin and lack of acceleration. The only times I would have wanted a different diff is when I would drive in my yard and try to turn from a stop. It would always spin the inside tire whether the axle was locked or unlocked and tear up the grass. An open diff or one with actual torque split would have shared the power between the tires and spared the grass. I’d buy another replacement if I drove the truck more. It only gets
A couple thousand miles a year now. FWIW, if I had my son learning to drive in it again, I’d probably reinstall a lock rite since it would overcome the rain induced tire spin while pulling into traffic and reduce risk of accidents if he timed the traffic wrong. The truck is low power enough that you could nearly mat the throttle in the rain with the locker and not spin a tire. It could have saved him from some nervous moments.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good tread and extra weight. I had to set up a plow truck out of an open diff blazer k1500 for icy steep driveways. I don't have slip. My next step will be a locker but this is the quickest and cheapest thing to do.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a detroit Tru Trac in my k2500, 14 bolt and its awesome. Quiet, zero maintenance, gear driven...I have run them in jeeps too for the simplicity of an "auto locker" and I feel its a strong upgrade for out trucks for towing and street manners when addressing traction devices. Its a little more $ but worth it. It takes just good ole diff fluid- no additives needed.

From ECGS: "GM 14 BOLT 10.5 FULL FLOAT Detroit TrueTrac, TT 915A545 30 Spline, 4.10 and Down. A very good limited slip, the clutchless design makes this an outstanding product that does not wear out. It also does not require special fluid. No clutches to burn, crack or spin. If your looking for more traction but need good road manners this is a great option."

Last edited: