Traction aid for open ff 14 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zoomer

Reaction score
I have an open diff 4.10 14 bolt ff in my '93 K3500 ECLB.

I'm looking for additional traction on slippery muddy roads. I'm NOT off-roading.

I've read many threads on g-80s, detroits etc.

What are your suggestions for the least expensive (to purchase AND install) solution that isn't
horrible for my 95% dry road driving.

Used G-80?, Lock-right, detroit?
Can I install myself (no preload measurements)? If I have to pay for install what is your guesstimate of costs?

Again, I stress that I don't need a ton of traction, just avoiding one wheel spin on muddy roads.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your suggestions for the least expensive (to purchase AND install) solution that isn't
A lunch box locker would probably be the cheapest and easiest. You don't have to adjust any of the presets, like backlash, pinion preload, etc. The only draw back is it ratchets when turning and accelerating. Just Google it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have the 10.5" right? Here's a good article: https://www.roundforge.com/articles/14-bolt-lockers/

Maybe the Grizzly for around $440 or the Detroit for $500? Can probably do it yourself since you don't need any specialized measurements or setups. They also come with instructions, LOL.

I've seen full used axles of this generation with 14BFF/G80/4.10s for around $250, but that's a lot more work to change it. And you have to look around...

zoomer

Reaction score
A detroit or grizzly don't need special setup from what I've read, am I right that a used G-80 from another differential need to be set up again?

stutaeng, have you run a detroit or grizzly?

PlayingwithTBI, by lunchbox, do you mean like lock-right or detroit?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A detroit or grizzly don't need special setup from what I've read, am I right that a used G-80 from another differential need to be set up again?
Yes, you need that carrier as well.
stutaeng, have you run a detroit or grizzly?
No. See below.
PlayingwithTBI, by lunchbox, do you mean like lock-right or detroit?

All of my trucks have the factory G80 in a 10 bolt, (2) 14 BSF and 14 BFF.

"Lunchbox" refers to the fact that just the "guts" get replaced. They just drop into the open carrier, so that's why they don't need setup.

zoomer

Reaction score
Thanks. I have read a lot about different lockers in general.
I was hoping to get advise from someone who has run these in our vehicles for their opinions based on experience.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
95% street?..... a Detroit seems like a poor choice, from what I've always heard. I'd look for one of the others, or look for a whole rear axle with a G80 and 4:10 gears (And JB8 slide off drum brakes).

The G80 will only locks at low speed, low traction situations, where it's needed. The Detroit is locked all the time except when it ratchets around corners...seems like a poor choice for a 95% street truck, especially if it's a daily driver.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven’t used a Detroit in a truck, but my car had one. It wasn’t a daily driver car, but it would get annoying. Let off the gas n it unlocks. Get on it n locks back up. If going around a slight corner while it locks, it wants to go straight. Great if yah wanna drift but not otherwise. I’ve had a couple trucks with the factory G80, n once you know how to lock it out, they are great. Also the cheapest. Best way is to go to a junkyard n grab the whole rear. Local yard here sells em for $150 I think. Possibly get one outta 99-02 or whatever years, same axle but with disc brakes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Also the cheapest. Best way is to go to a junkyard n grab the whole rear. Local yard here sells em for $150 I think. Possibly get one outta 99-02 or whatever years, same axle but with disc brakes.

That's not a bolt in swap, Though. The spring pads and shock mounts need to be moved, plus the possibility of needing brake work to get the rear disks to work right.