tq converter bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So my 1996 k1500 wont grab anything in 4th gear. its like neutral. its been this way for a little over a month, but it didn't just lose it out of nowhere. When I first noticed a problem I was towing a trailer, and when it locked up I gave it some gas to get over a hill and the rpms started to flare, so I dropped it down to 3rd and it was fine. a couple days later I noticed if I put it to about half throttle, the rpms would flare while the converter was locked. a couple days after that, 4th gears was uselss. now Its starting to flare when the converter locks in 3rd. I'm assuming in a couple days that will be useless as well. Its never made any funny noises, 1st and second still work perfect although the shifts are getting sloppier. I had my mechanic check into it and he couldn't give me a straight answer as to what it was without pulling the transmission out and charging me an assload so now I'm stuck. the transmission is a monster rebuild with less than 15000 miles on it, and it got a new converter when I put that in.

I'm mainly just looking for other possibilities as to what the problem could be. I spent serious money on this transmission and I don't want to scrap it over a bad converter. I'm not saying its had an easy life, but whatever it is should've lasted longer than it did.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe check computer or the boost valve. I'm takin my burb in this week for free check, at least test drive and hook to scanner to see if anything looks odd. Mines only 2 1/2 years old and is sluggish then when it shifts it kicks hard as hell. Different shop installed it then who i like but was in rush to get it done. What is your mechanic wanting to charge?

Rocco

Reaction score
Really sounds like the 3-4 clutches are gone, not the converter, other gears working fine means it's not the converter. Could get a .500 boost valve but I'm guessing your transmission already had one installed. As far as monster transmissions...I had a guy bring me one to rebuild and after taking it apart I saw where they had broken a piece of the case near the servo and it was epoxied back together. Now the parts were good they put in but that was it, the pride and attention given to mass production is always less... Things like this make it hard for people to get transmissions built, do you spend 3 times the price people like me charge with a company or take your chances with craigslist people? I live 2 miles from Memphis in Mississippi and have had people as far as Florida get transmissions from me, not that I advertised well but word of mouth that I love building my transmissions and do 1 at a time with no hurry in mind...just right in mind.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Honestly, not totally sure what all monster puts in their transmissions. 3-4 clutches seem like they wore out super fast if thats the problem. Would i gradually lose 3rd and 4th if that was the problem? I had almost $3000 in the monster after everything was said and done.

Mechanic wanted almost 700 to pull the trans and have everything looked at. I thought about just pulling it myself and taking it in but then id end up waiting another month or two.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The notorious 4l60e 3-4 clutch pack often burns out becuase there are a few key parts within the trans that like to wear out and leak pressure, burning the pack.
Just slapping new clutches in and calling it a day isn't a true fix for this. You have to address the underlying issue that caused it to burn out in the first place. It's possible that monster didn't address this when they built your trans, which caused your 3-4 clutches to burn out so quickly.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
The notorious 4l60e 3-4 clutch pack often burns out becuase there are a few key parts within the trans that like to wear out and leak pressure, burning the pack.
Just slapping new clutches in and calling it a day isn't a true fix for this. You have to address the underlying issue that caused it to burn out in the first place. It's possible that monster didn't address this when they built your trans, which caused your 3-4 clutches to burn out so quickly.
Well thats good to know. Theres alot of things ill tinker with but auto transmissions isnt one of them, so i wont be slapping clutch packs in anything lol.

Rocco

Reaction score
I haven't been on here long but I can see I already like honkon. Yes most don't look at why it happens....just fix the now problem.
Ok...lets loo at the problems, MAJOR one 3-4 clutches burn... fix...for the early models go with the steel bonded 3-4 piston, drill the 3rd and 4th plate holes bigger for more oil supply ...can't remember the number as my girlfriend is looking at me mad while I type... DO NOT GO TO BIG, they came with 6 clutches ....so 300 must be better ? ! NO! , See so many talikn about 8...9...10 clutches but they take away from other places. just put in 7 3-4 clutches with .67 steels and you found the happy median. TRANSMISSION COOLER>>>>TRANSMISSION COOLER >>>>>TRANSMISSION COOLER. Did I mention you need a transmission cooler ? Number 1 reason for transmission failure is heat. Get the Transgo shift kit, if you don't have an 1870 code you will and this kit fixes it. BOOST valves....get a new one! go ahead and get that .500 ....nothing bad will happen