Tps install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to install a new tps. Books say to put it on the shaft and turn it counter cc.
to do so it has to srart from this point, and it doesn’t seem happy to turn.
Youtubes show the opposite direction. I guess the books are wrong?

You must be registered for see images attach

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That seems wrong to me and too to extreme. Basically look inside of it and think about which direction the throttle shaft will need to turn the tps inside components. The throttle shaft is somewhat flat at that point. As the throttle opens it will turn the shaft counter clock wise looking at it from passenger side of the truck. So the upper tooth needs to be behind the flat of the shaft and the lower tooth needs to be just in front of the shaft. The way you have it will bust the TPS!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What year is your truck? On my 99 vortec 5.7,it wasn't difficult at all to change the throttle position sensor. It can't go on but one way. TBI engines are different, but I didn't think the TPS was that difficult on them. But I could be wrong, it does happen.....

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need a volt meter and have to loosen the mount screws. Then depending on its output voltage you turn it one direction or another. Most have very little to no adjustment though. such as the one you pictured would not move much at all.

Check it with the engine turned off but the key in the on position.

I used this to check the voltage versus splicing/stripping wires.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cei-108103

Then i took it off after getting the tps set.

Last edited:

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you need I believe I can find you a part number for a adjustable TPS. But only buy it if yours wont go into range.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont quote me on this cuz its been awhile since I replaced mine but Im pretty sure that is wrong.
The tps goes on so its alignment hole is below the hole in the throttle body then you rotate it clockwise untill it aligns.
You should feel the spring tension as you rotate it.
With the throttle plates closed, line up the notch in the tps so that you have to turn it up for the holes to match.
Shouldnt have to turn it very far and it shouldnt feel like it is binding.
Just some spring tension.
And when you release it it should go back to where you started.
Mines a 94 but Im pretty sure its the same.
Let me know if that works