Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
700R4 sucks and fails if it feels like it. 4L80 is much tougher and won't randomly bite the dust unless it's really been beat on, like foot to the floor D-R drops and stuff. They're also programmed to keep the TCC locked even when WOT. A very different animal than a 700R4/4L60.
I totally agree with you there, but they didn't have the 80 in a 1/2 ton in 1990. My '99 has the 80 and I'm loving how solid it feels with 225K on it. I can pull local canyons in OD at 70mph with the converter locked that my '97 with the 60 couldn't even do in 3rd at 60 mph.

seth9199

Reaction score
So what im hearing is i should be ok with new fluids and just gonna use alot of gass for the most part. Also how hard would it be to install a trans cooler? Could i posible drill a hole and thread one in?

Last edited:

CCLB3500

Reaction score
I drive a Crew cab long bed 3500 with 350 5sp manual and 4.11. I tow a 24 ft travel trailer and sometimes a small utility trailer behind the travel trailer. Whole rig has to be over 12k. I send it wide open and typically run 75+mph. I have driven all over Rocky Mountains and it will go slow on the big passes but keep downshifting. I made cottonwood pass in second at 2k rpm, 1st is granny low but 8mph!

Transmission cooler lock out overdrive and carry tools!

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not only about being able to pull it, its also abt being able to stop it.. I have a 1500 93 model silverado,., it has no problem towing my heavy boat, around 4300 lbs. I have to be careful though because the boat has pushed me past stop signs on wet roads when I try to stop if I dont be very careful.. fookin scary!!!! I have good brakes and upgraded from street tires to wider more aggressive tires and it helped alot,. BUT with the bigger heavier tires it is harder on the brakes.

KevinC2500

Reaction score
I'd like to tow a 6,880 pound travel trailer (loaded with everything its about 7,400 not including other people in the truck) and the max towing for the truck says 7500lbs which seems kind of low for a 2500. Will my truck be ok? side note for the trucks made before 95 the max towing was 8,500lbs , does any one know why the change? my truck is a 1997, 5.7 with 4.10 gears. 106,000 miles.
I have a 90 5.7 and evidently there was a standard version of 7,200 towing and an HD that could pull an extra 1,400 lbs (8,600 lbs). I'm not sure if they are still offered like that.

I bought this for $1000 and didn't even realize it was an HD. I replaced the majority of the front end so that's how I figured it out. The HD's upper control arms are solid whereas the standard are stamped metal, like the lower arms.

KevinC2500

Reaction score
they never had an hd package until 99. also id want to take it on longer trips from Michigan to the southern states. so will it be ok? it has an trans cooler.(i dont mind upgrading)
Just to let you know that I have a 90 that is an HD rated at 8600 lbs while the standard is 7200. I found this out when I ordered a standard upper control arm, which is stamped. I had to return it for the HD, which is solid. They might not have called it HD but the option was there.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understand, my 95K2500 ext.cab.stb. is a 7200 lbs. I like it for almost everyday use it's a little more " grunt " , but not as harsh as a 8600 lb.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
GoTo...it varies from state to state. Some states mandate brakes at 1500 lbs, others are anywhere from that 1500 all the way to 5000 lbs. I'm in Indiana and you have to have brakes at 3000 lbs.
In Texas I think it's weight based, but I know the smaller single axle trailers don't require brakes. I would figure most states require brakes on a double axle trailer, since the ones U Haul has do have surge brakes. That's what the #6 or #7 pin on the big trailer connector is for (powering the electric brakes).