Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, these trucks (8-lug 2500) with 4.10 gears and a 454 are rated for 10K LBs towing. The only differences I'm aware of on a 350 truck vs a 454 truck are that a 454 truck gets a 10.5" 14-bolt full floater rear axle and the 350 has a 9.5 semi float rear axle. Maybe springs are different but that should be it. Worst case senario, diff swap it to a 14ff (I did because I had one) and you should be good to go. These trucks could use better brakes but if your frame and stuff is in good shape it should be fine structurally. Agreed with all the "get a temp gauge and a bigger cooler/fan" comments but other than that these trucks are solid.

I'm glad that you posted this. Out of my dads GMT400 fleet, only one of his trucks has a full floater rear end, and it's the only one with a 454 vs a 350. I always wondered what constituted the FF vs the SF that all of the otehrs had. I didn't think the engine would make a difference in rear end, but I guess that makes sense for towing capacity.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, these trucks (8-lug 2500) with 4.10 gears and a 454 are rated for 10K LBs towing.

You are correct on that, which is the combo I have in my Suburban C2500. I bought it to tow our 32' travel trailer, between 9000-9500# fully loaded including cargo and people in the vehicle.

To the OP, from your description you will be overloaded. No two ways around that. Everything in the vehicle (including people and all their stuff) should be included in that "towing" weight. The number covers whatever the vehicle is responsible for moving along, except for a full tank of gas and 160# driver I believe. I might be slightly off on the driver weight allowance.

Trailer weight is just one factor also... how long is that rig of yours? All towed weights are not created equal. Travel trailers are giant boxes on wheels (as you know) and they will pick up a whole lot more wind than a flatbed load of bricks, for instance. Think SWAY. That trailer could walk you all over the road on a windy day, as in "tail wagging the dog" sort of thing. 3/4 ton trucks not only have bigger engines and transmissions for pulling in a straight line, but also upgraded tires (LT instead of P usually), upgraded braking, beefier suspension, and better drivetrain cooling. I also have Air-Lift bags installed on my read end, and use a weight-distribution hitch to even the load between axles when towing. All of those things improve heavy towing performance, beyond just the pulling ability.

So, the questions to ask:
- Can you do it? Sure, probably.
- Will you enjoy it? Likely not, if you experience anything beyond straight, flat towing.
- Will it be safe? Hopefully, but an overloaded truck + emergency response situation (panic braking, evasive maneuvers, etc.) can have bad results.

Not trying to be the negative nancy here, just want to give you a realistic response based on several years of RV towing. I'm also one of the admins at a large RV forum and have seen/read many of these types of threads.[/QUOTE]

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my experience as well.
Unfortunately, not mine. Long story short, once upon a time, I traded a guy a conversion van for a Suburban and a peculiar little race VW rabbit. I was on my way home towing the rabbit on my car trailer up a mountain and burned up the tranny. I was pushing the engine pretty hard to see if there was going to be any overheating problems. Temps stayed right where they belonged. 700R4 was in 3rd with what felt like the converter locked. When I finally got it home and tore into the tranny, the only thing I found that I could lay the blame on was the vent tube on the top of the tranny was plugged up tight as a Nuns navel!. If the Burb had a tranny temp gauge in it, I would have seen the temp climbing and been much easier on it until I got it home and found the problem. It would have definitely saved me from 100 or more of those "I told you so" looks from my wife on that long limping ride home!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
700R4 sucks and fails if it feels like it. 4L80 is much tougher and won't randomly bite the dust unless it's really been beat on, like foot to the floor D-R drops and stuff. They're also programmed to keep the TCC locked even when WOT. A very different animal than a 700R4/4L60.

tachrev

Reaction score
I have a 4l60e. It tows my camper for hours at a time in 3rd. As long as the converter stays locked the trans never exceeds the engine coolant temp. 185F in my case, because my thermostat is lower than stock.

I do have the "tow package" with factory external cooler. Without an external cooler I wouldn't trust it towing my camper...but GM also lowers the tow rating in that case so it makes sense.

The OP's 2500 will have a 4l80 and an external cooler, so he should be good to go. Trans temp gauge can't hurt though if you want one. Thats why we have oil pressure and coolant temp gauges, just to keep an eye on things.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took a load like that through the canadian rockies with my 96 8600 k2500. 350 with a blackbear computor set to stage 1 trans tuning(which I regret should have kept stock or maybe ill send it in to try stage 2). I dont have a trans temp gauge but I had no issues. It was hot as balls the whole way too (28-32c). I dont have a distribution hitch or sway control and I really wish I had. Other than that it was fine. I was in second going really slow a lot but I didnt lean on it any harder than it took to keep about 2500rpm and whatever speed that gave. I was solo and if I do this again sway control and distribution hitch are getting added. When rigs passed me going 120kmh or better it was a little tense but driveline... no worries.

seth9199

Reaction score
Well i have a weight distribution hitch and trailer breaks. and had the truck been built in 94 it would have been with in spec so what changed after that?

Reaction score
My Burban with the 454 and 4.10 gears has been my daily driver for years and years. It spent several years pulling over 20k pounds every day. I bought a diesel to replace my blazer and hated it. I went back to my Burban. Now pushing 300k miles she still ruins and drives like new, and has a new raptor liner coat on her to protect her for years to come.