Towing Weight Capabilities 97 K3500 Dually Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have been pulling 17k+ regularly for the past year, 317g Track Loader 9k+ on a 26' gooseneck trailer 6k, plus materials. The 96 k3500 7.4 has a flatbed and a pile of tools, total weight 10k. I don't recommend it because I know it is beyond its limit, but this truck does the work. I am looking to upgrade asap to a larger rig, not because it can't do it, just because it's the right thing to do. I am currently in ford divorce court. Lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have been pulling 17k+ regularly for the past year, 317g Track Loader 9k+ on a 26' gooseneck trailer 6k, plus materials. The 96 k3500 7.4 has a flatbed and a pile of tools, total weight 10k. I don't recommend it because I know it is beyond its limit, but this truck does the work. I am looking to upgrade asap to a larger rig, not because it can't do it, just because it's the right thing to do. I am currently in ford divorce court. Lol

I'm guessing your truck rarely sees a lockup in overdrive?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PULLING is not the problem. I rode three-across in a 1/2-ton Dodge with a Leaning Tower of Power and a three-speed...with 2000+ pounds of coal in the bed, direct from the mine. The suspension was totally collapsed, riding the bump-stops all the way home.

STOPPING and STEERING is the problem. A bigass trailer can wag-the-dog easily enough. There's all sorts of Youtube videos where an unbalanced, over-weight trailer oscillates until the pulling vehicle flips on it's side.

Remember--a huge non-aerodynamic load can shift weight off the hitch due to wind resistance up high. Without proper tongue weight, you're in deep doo-doo.

The other part of the problem is getting past the Highway Patrol, especially at the weigh stations. (i.e., staying legal with regard to vehicle capacities and tire weight ratings.)

Leewltn

Reaction score
i all back again.
We just bought a large tank for an oil rig. It is 8 feet wide, 6 feet high and 18 feet long. Estimated weight is 8000 to 9000 pounds.
Using a proper trailer, is this something that my 97 Chevy K3500 7.4L 4X4 dually could tow ok? Or is this going to be too much weight?

We are looking at ways to get it from Texas to Oklahoma without paying a fortune!
With a gooseneck three axle trailer I just read 30k shouldn't be a problem. I have a 20 ft. enclosed trailer weight 7500 two axle no problem and I have another 2500 in the trailer and I'm pulling it with 271. No I don't like doing it with this truck wrong suspension but for now until I get my 95 k3500 up running.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is great, thank you. I don't have an owner's manual for the truck and was going to try to find one.

Looks like it is set at 10K for bumper pull trailer weight.
Not sure how much you'd want to push that. I suppose if you are over it is illegal anyway.
Did anyone say you can get owners manuals free PDF download s on the GM heritage websight. The factory dumped alot of pubs onto the GM hearitage museum and there available for free.

Reaction score
I'm guessing your truck rarely sees a lockup in overdrive?
On the downhills. I definitely have to keep a fire built in her to make the uphills at descent speeds.
I am looking for advice on a reasonable tuner to delete egr and pick up some power. I am having issues with sputtering off low rpm, I read somewhere deleting egr manually without a tune can cause that.