Towing w/ 97 2WD Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizey93

Reaction score
if your fluid is clean and fresh i would wait until your done towing. if you cook the new fluid youll have to change it again.

I'll take a picture tonight of my fluid and put it on here. I think replacing it twice would be worth it, Id be nervious towing with what Ive got that far. 206k miles and I am worried its original fluid.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll take a picture tonight of my fluid and put it on here. I think replacing it twice would be worth it, Id be nervious towing with what Ive got that far. 206k miles and I am worried its original fluid.

I wouldnt worry. It has to have been changed at least once. The trans would fry itself and be dead long before now. Guys who dont change it often have to swap the trans before 150k. Should be fine to tow the trailer and car.

Lizey93

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry. It has to have been changed at least once. The trans would fry itself and be dead long before now. Guys who dont change it often have to swap the trans before 150k. Should be fine to tow the trailer and car.

I created a new post about my fluid in the Transmission section but here is the same picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change it.

New clean fluid is bright red / pink. I bet you have a thin layer of black clutch material on bottom of your pan which is normal.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but you said you have no cooler hooked up at all, not even the one in the radiator? How did that trans last that long with no cooling what so ever?

Lizey93

Reaction score
Well after considering my options and what I’ve got I’ve decided I’m not going to use my truck to tow that Audi, we’re just gonna rent one since my 98 is also unavailable. Thanks for all of the input everyone!