Towing w/ 97 2WD Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
2nd that of a trans cooler. Also you said tow dolly. Is the audi AWD?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Lizey93

Reaction score
2nd that of a trans cooler. Also you said tow dolly. Is the audi AWD?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I found out it is AWD so we're going to be renting a trailer which is what inspired me to bite the bullet on the trans cooler.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve towed 4K enclosed trailer that catches a lot of wind (8ft tall) with my 1997 k1500 3:73 gears 33” tires so effective gear ratio is 3:60. I have the factory small trans cooler and installed a temp gauge.

Black & Green MaxTow Transmission Temperature Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZKA06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CN1ZAb6DX2VY7

Towing on flat roads but at 3 - 5k elevation I towed in overdrive with no problems. Trans temp with sensor in pan was 175 - 195. When I hit hills and flooring it to hold 60 - 70mph at 3 - 4.8k rpm trans temp was 210 - 218.

Hottest I got was 230 which was going slow (10 - 20 mph up a long dirt road winding into the mountains. I pulled over and let it idle for 10 mins and temps dropped.

You can tow in OD if it’s not hunting or shifting in and out of 3rd and 4th. My trans builds heat when climbing large hills and engine revs above 3k rpm.

at least add a temp gauge to monitor temps. If you add a cooler then remember to have trans go into radiator cooler AND external cooler. Don’t just bypass radiator cooler.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score

Lizey93

Reaction score
I am planning on changing my fluid before I take off but I keep getting told that dropping the pan, changing the filter, and putting 4-5 fresh quarts in is somehow going to blow up my 4L60 which I don't necessarily believe but its now in the back of my head.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I am planning on changing my fluid before I take off but I keep getting told that dropping the pan, changing the filter, and putting 4-5 fresh quarts in is somehow going to blow up my 4L60 which I don't necessarily believe but its now in the back of my head.
if your fluid is clean and fresh i would wait until your done towing. if you cook the new fluid youll have to change it again.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I did a full flush at home on my 4l60e.

1. drop pan and replace filter. Put new gasket on and fill with new fluid.

2. disconnect 1 metal trans cooler line from radiator (can’t remember if it’s upper or lower) attach rubber hose to line and put into bucket.

3. Start truck and let idle. You will here transmission pump suck air when it pumps all fluid from pan. Shut truck off and fill with fluid. I did this 3 times total and some dark fluid came out of my torque converter.

I’d buy 4 or 5 jugs of below full synthetic atf if you do flush.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...utomatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768