Towing parts truck home... how to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can tow 2 on the ground in neutral as well. My electronic t case in my 98 has no neutral which I think is dumb. Don't forget Bravadas and the other AWD platforms. I'm unaware of any way to disengage those, unless they're like the old AWD Toyotas that had a dingus under the hood you could decouple the rear with.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes the GMT 800 awd t-case doesn't have a neutral position. When my dad's 06 Denali needed to be towed, it had to go on a flatbed transporter.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I was asking because i was wondering how so many folks were able to flat tow safely. I understand how our automatic lit its selfe up from not having the front pump running while being towed in neutral. I belive the t case was probably in 2 hi i just really never new that t case neutral would make it so you could tow any way but with the driveshaft removed.
I must sound a bit stupid but the only "4×4" in our family was my grandmas honda crv with awd and i knew it was only safe to trailer per the owners manual. So in other words i dont have a clue around 4×4. Sorry to threadjack.

The engine drives the torque converter which in turn drives the pump. The rear drive shaft cannot drive the pump on a GM automatic transmission. If you have a manual Transfer case(shifter on the floor) you can place the T case in neutral and it will allow for towing. If you tow a 4wd truck and the T case is not in neutral you will turn the T case and over heat it.
Trucks like JackE has are basically AWD trucks and should NOT be towed Period unless they are on a flat bed or have dolly wheels under the rear wheels.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also no need on a manual trans if you leave it in neutral, at least 99% of them anyway.
Not true! In neutral the mainshaft is decoupled from the countershaft. Manual transmissions are splash-oiled and rely on the countershaft flinging oil up onto the input and mainshafts. In neutral you might get a bit of friction turning the countershaft, but not enough to count on. You won't set your transmission on fire, but you might trash your mainshaft bearings. The safe thing is to take out the driveshaft.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not true! In neutral the mainshaft is decoupled from the countershaft. Manual transmissions are splash-oiled and rely on the countershaft flinging oil up onto the input and mainshafts. In neutral you might get a bit of friction turning the countershaft, but not enough to count on. You won't set your transmission on fire, but you might trash your mainshaft bearings. The safe thing is to take out the driveshaft.

I base my statement on the fact that I flat towed my T5 equipped Crown Victoria from South Dakota to California, and a bunch more on shorter trips that would have grenaded an automatic.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries, I wasn't trying to call you out, I just don't want someone thinking towing a manual in neutral is safe. My guess is your countershaft was getting a bit of rotation and kept things alive, but the next guy might not have that luck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No worries, I wasn't trying to call you out, I just don't want someone thinking towing a manual in neutral is safe. My guess is your countershaft was getting a bit of rotation and kept things alive, but the next guy might not have that luck.

Having actually been inside a T56 recently I'm not sure that's possible. If the countershaft spins, then the input would as well and that's held still by the compression of the engine at rest. I'd have to look at the case to see how high up the fill plug is because the main shaft would have been the only thing spinning for sure.