Towing parts truck home... how to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually just had to move mine, here's how I get mine around.

I used the existing washer/blocks that held in the retrieval/tow hooks and some shorter M12 bolts. Little tricky getting them started but finally found a good use for my ratcheting wrenches lmao.

Granted, this requires the truck you're pulling has decent tires that hold air.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious do any of you guys remove the driveshaft?
The reason i ask is that my perrents were towing an old Jimmy a while back on a youhaul car dolly without removing the driveshaft (first time using a dolly) and they didnt make it 10 miles @ 70 before the Jimmys tranny burst into flames. The fire department had to put the fire out something like 4 times. We had always had trailers available and just never thought about it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you put the t case in neutral no need. Also no need on a manual trans if you leave it in neutral, at least 99% of them anyway.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The t case disconects the rear too?
I come from a 2wd family.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh boy i never knew that. I did own a 4×4 once but i never put it in 4 wheel drive before the motor blew. ☺

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The simplest answer; dollys were made for front wheel drive cars, ONLY! If you are going to tow anything AWD, 4WD, or RWD on a dolly, remove the driveline to the axle that is on the ground. I can't say this for every transfer case out there because I have never torn one open to see how they tick, but for my electronic shift AutoTrac II, it goes from 2H into 4H, then into neutral. Transfer case neutral is for flat towing, all 4 wheels on the ground. Neutral disconnects the drive gears from the input shaft of the T-case. My T-case shifts into 4, then neutral allowing the full T-case to be oiled while it is running down the road. The guy who's tranny caught fire was probably because the front driveline was not able to spin with the back and it gernaded internally and heated up to the burning point. It takes a lot of heat to burn the aluminum, but it takes even more of the right kind of foam retardant to put it out. I have doused enough car fires in my last 14 years on the VFD to figure that one out.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was asking because i was wondering how so many folks were able to flat tow safely. I understand how our automatic lit its selfe up from not having the front pump running while being towed in neutral. I belive the t case was probably in 2 hi i just really never new that t case neutral would make it so you could tow any way but with the driveshaft removed.
I must sound a bit stupid but the only "4×4" in our family was my grandmas honda crv with awd and i knew it was only safe to trailer per the owners manual. So in other words i dont have a clue around 4×4. Sorry to threadjack.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another one on Facebook marketplace in texas

Thanks! I have been browsing lately. Difficult part is I am looking for a white truck with a pristine body. My goal was to just swap body parts and not have to paint... The truck I found was perfect, except it sold... oh well.