Towing parts truck home... how to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a truck about 120 miles away from me that would be great to steal some parts off of before taking it to the scrap yard or parting it out.

I have a 3/4 ton 2019 chevy I can yank it with. However, I don't have a car hauler...

Anyone ever towed a truck on a car dolly from uhaul?

It's a 96 c1500 ECSB... I am trying to figure out the best way to get it home. It's too cheap to pass up.

I am not sure if it will fit on a car hauler from uhaul...

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d use a car dolly. Take lower speed backroads if possible. I’ve read where some folks yank the driveshaft. Also goes without saying, make sure tires can handle that distance at highway speeds.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You cant borrow a trailer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d use a car dolly. Take lower speed backroads if possible. I’ve read where some folks yank the driveshaft. Also goes without saying, make sure tires can handle that distance at highway speeds.

Guy marked it as sold... wouldn't have been able to get out there until tomorrow anyway... I knew it would go fast... 700 bucks for a complete truck in good shape!

It would have been interstate the whole way... I could probably get away with 60 but anything less than that I would get ran over! I will just have to keep this in mind and continue my search and hope something closer pops up.

You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sucks to late but if you get the chance agian try checking if you have local construction equipment rental companies. I've got a few around here an they all rent 20ft flatbed car haulers and tilt bed trailers.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought mine home with a tow bar from Northern Tool (I've since seen Reese tow bar @ Walmart that looks identical).

Had brackets welded to brush gaurd and used set of magnetic trailer lights. Tow bar was under $100 and safety chains/cables for both sides was another $40. The lights where I believe $15.

Ive since used the tow bar with helping peers and its come in handy.

My voyage was about 60miles but there were enough local roads I could stay off interstate. Did it in middle of night in middle of week when the roads are the most empty cause an emergency braking situation would not have ended pretty.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I brought mine home with a tow bar from Northern Tool (I've since seen Reese tow bar @ Walmart that looks identical).

Had brackets welded to brush gaurd and used set of magnetic trailer lights. Tow bar was under $100 and safety chains/cables for both sides was another $40. The lights where I believe $15.

Ive since used the tow bar with helping peers and its come in handy.

My voyage was about 60miles but there were enough local roads I could stay off interstate. Did it in middle of night in middle of week when the roads are the most empty cause an emergency braking situation would not have ended pretty.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hah, not sure that method is going to help me when I am a few hours away and need to hook and go... but... I totally forgot about flat towing with a tow bar... I will keep that in mind...

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sucks to late but if you get the chance agian try checking if you have local construction equipment rental companies. I've got a few around here an they all rent 20ft flatbed car haulers and tilt bed trailers.

We do have some equipment rental companies... I know they supply trailers when you rent a bobcat or something similar... I will check in on that!