Towing my tractor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowbuck1010

Reaction score
I purchased this truck to tow my tractor(s) on an 18 foot deck over. The fellow that sold it to me said it would need engine work and he was right. After head gaskets, valve job, new intake/exhaust seals, thermostat and new coolant, she runs pretty good for 111,734 miles. Does anyone see any issues with towing a 6K John Deere on a 2800 lb trailer? The truck has 3.42 gears and a trans cooler. I‘ll be going from the MT Olive area of NJ down to the Norfolk area of VA, so the roads are most all flat.
Thanks
Todd
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Around 9k lbs... Not what its rated for and the 4l60 wont last long.

My 1997 K3500 Dually is only rated for 10k lbs towing.

But that being said, These trucks have been hauling farm equipment around for 30 years now. Its just up to the driver on what they want to risk by overloading the truck. Are you ok with rebuilding the trans every 10k miles, overheating regularly, and possibly not being able to stop and rear-ending people?

Lowbuck1010

Reaction score
Uhhhh….no. I’m not too concerned with rebuilding the trans every 10K as I likely won’t hit that number in 5 years. However, overheating regularly is certainly a concern, as is not being able to stop and rear-ending people. It’s got a Redarc Elite tow pro brake controller. I was told that between the trailer brakes/controller and truck brakes, I would be able to stop. Is this not the case?
Thanks

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a blue truck. What year, model, engine, auto manual, tow package? What does the decals/ stickers on the glove box and the left door, door jam say about Max Gross Vehicle Weights, cargo weights. Max allowable tongue wt? Light truck heavy equipment trailer, if it got squirrely and you in some kind of motor vehicle smashup. The liabilty would be catastrophic. The drivers now some many do such stupid moves or actions. My one ton is old but it pulls and stops heavy loads safely. Thats just my thoughts, everyone makes there own choices thats our feedom. Good luck.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if that's all you got, then that's all you got...for a one-time use, I hope it will make it. You'll likely be over your GVWR. I'm not sure how important that's to you.

3.42s mean you are going to be really, really slow. Those aren't towing gears.

Good luck.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like the others have stated, technically you've got the wrong truck. That's a 7200 GVW 6 lug 2500. A glorified heavy half. Looks to be a 90-93, by the front end. I bought an '88 years ago as a donor truck.
It had a 305 and a TH400: Weak... 14 bolt axle is a great upgrade to any half ton: Strong! But that's about it.
Now, I dont know what your GCWR would be, but I'm sure it's near the limit. Dont take chances with others safety. Get something bigger, and/or newer.

Lowbuck1010

Reaction score
Well, a new Ram 3500 is coming in a few years, but for now, this is what I have to work with. I’m picking the new trailer up in Chambersberg, PA and then heading to MT Olive for the tractor. On the trip back, the steepest incline that I know of will be the Delaware Memorial Bridge. As suspected, the biggest issue appears to be stopping, so eyes down the road, low speed and generous vehicle spacing will be the order of the day. Short of not using the truck, that’s my best way forward.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is that really a heavy half? Those are actually a lot more capable than a regular half. OP for stopping look into the hydroboost swap. If you're lacking spring, get a true 2500 leaf pack. Tow in 3rd, not OD and go for a quick test drive all the way up to highway speed to see what you think first. Make sure the tires are maxxed out on air too. If you have a WD hitch, this will be your saving grace. Sounds like you won't have a ton of wind resistance so that's good.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to suggest re-gearing to at least 4.10, but you have to do both axles, unless you will drive it exclusively on 2wd. Otherwise tow in 3rd as was mentioned.

I think your weak link will be the transmission. Get the largest transmission oil cooler you can fit in there. I think I read someone here said they installed a Duramax trans. cooler? Maybe find one at your local wrecking yard for cheap.