towing a 2door civic on a uhaul flatbed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loading the trailer correctly is the key to overcoming the shorter wheelbase issue. Ideally you want them level when loaded, a slight nose up tilt to the trailer is okay as well. If the truck and trailer are both pointing up or down you will have limited control of steering, and this will be amplified under acceleration or braking. With a Civic you should be okay, but we had problems towing my dually with a NBS Tahoe. Plenty of motor, but around 55 the trailer started steering the truck. Really needed a longer trailer, but 6 hours from home it is what it is... Ended up renting a Uhaul truck and pulling it home with that.

Wait, you towed a dually on trailer with a Tahoe?! What? Aren't dually trucks around 7k curb weight? Plus trailer weight empty? On coil spring suspension of the Tahoe? Yikes!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, you towed a dually on trailer with a Tahoe?! What? Aren't dually trucks around 7k curb weight? Plus trailer weight empty? On coil spring suspension of the Tahoe? Yikes!
Not very far.....
I drove semi's and concrete trucks for years, overweight doesn't scare me. Out of control absolutely does, and it was uncontrollable at more than 55 mph, which we discovered pulling on to the interstate. Hazards on and right back off again to rethink. We had test fit a dually on the trailer the night before, weren't even thinking about weight distribution.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loading the trailer correctly is the key to overcoming the shorter wheelbase issue. Ideally you want them level when loaded, a slight nose up tilt to the trailer is okay as well. If the truck and trailer are both pointing up or down you will have limited control of steering, and this will be amplified under acceleration or braking. With a Civic you should be okay, but we had problems towing my dually with a NBS Tahoe. Plenty of motor, but around 55 the trailer started steering the truck. Really needed a longer trailer, but 6 hours from home it is what it is... Ended up renting a Uhaul truck
Ran into that issue towing a full size G20 van behind a 2011 Pathfinder. Pathfinder has a 7,500 lbs tow rating and the V6 had plenty of grunt, it stopped and steered well enough with trailer brakes but it wanted to sway around 55 mph. Just took it slow on the back roads at about 45 mph and no issues what so over. Too many idiots will just try to hook up to something, drag it 80 mph and end up on their roof in the ditch. Definately have more control at slower speeds.

Let air out of the tires on the vehicle you are towing until the tires get a bit squaty. Then take a pair of 10K ratcheting tie down straps, grab on to the frame or unibody on each end of the vehicle and tighten them down to the trailer to remove the jounce and rebound from the vehicles suspension. Will take alot of dip and sway out of it.

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Ran into that issue towing a full size G20 van behind a 2011 Pathfinder. Pathfinder has a 7,500 lbs tow rating and the V6 had plenty of grunt, it stopped and steered well enough with trailer brakes but it wanted to sway around 55 mph. Just took it slow on the back roads at about 45 mph and no issues what so over. Too many idiots will just try to hook up to something, drag it 80 mph and end up on their roof in the ditch. Definately have more control at slower speeds.

Let air out of the tires on the vehicle you are towing until the tires get a bit squaty. Then take a pair of 10K ratcheting tie down straps, grab on to the frame or unibody on each end of the vehicle and tighten them down to the trailer to remove the jounce and rebound from the vehicles suspension. Will take alot of dip and sway out of it.
I always put blocks of wood under the frame and tighten down the ratchet straps so it can't move.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2000 coil sprung Suburban towing a 99 K2500 Suburban with a 454 on a 3300# 20k rated trailer. The total weight was 16k.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious if my 1994 k1500 blazer 4wd can tow my 2door 1998 honda civic hx.
I pulled a '98 Monte Carlo 1800 miles with a U-haul tow dolly behind a six-popper Trailblazer.

Last week, I pulled the Trailblazer 70 miles home on a flatbed, behind an '88 K1500 pickup.

I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether you use a tow dolly or a flatbed. Whatever you're more comfortable with--the truck doesn't care.

If your truck has a 700/4L60 trans, you'd do well to lay off the overdrive. Better to have the converter locked in third than unlocked in fourth.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We ran into the reverse of that trying to get my dually home, they wanted me to rent one of their trailers to pull behind their truck. Bribed the guy lunch to get him to turn a blind eye.
I have heard other people say that as well. I was actually relieved they wouldn't rent me the car trailer in that particular situation. In 2004 when I was moving I rented a double axle enclosed from uhaul to move some furniture. I got a flat on I95 south with no exit in site In BFE Georgia. After multiple calls to uhaul I sat there on the side of I95 for 4.5 hours before anyone showed up. Raggedy 70 something Ford boom wrecker shows up and he has a contractor compressor, one tire iron , and a loose tire. After umpteen times of driving over the edge of the shredded tire in the grass with no luck I suggested he move it all onto the pavement. By time it was over I had dug out the lug wrench and a screw driver out of my truck. I had the tire iron and was telling him where to pry and push and we swapped the tire over on the shoulder with vehicles whizzing by at 80 mph. Another 2 hours later Cleetus and me got'r done but cripes what an ordeal.

Uhaul personnel are well scripted for these situations. Unforseen circumstrances that are out of our control, how fast were you going, blah blah blah. The response time is one thing but it blew my mind someone contracted with Uhaul didn't show up with a wheel assembly.

Last edited:

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Not sure if your married but if you are she can drive the truck and you can rent a Uhaul truck. the Big ones and put the civic inside of it. we put my old bosses jeep in one