Tow Hook frame straightening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On both my 2500s I have... or HAD... a tow hook what was knocked up.
You must be registered for see images attach

That there... is frame damage.

Annoying but... "minor" Then I picked up a used tow hook style valence, and it would not fit.

Delete the hooks and just go on?
No.
I looked at the frame and the hook assemblages and figured out a simple repair I could attempt:

Stock, the hooks are retained with an anchor plate within the frame that is sandwiched around/through the frame by the two bolts through their respective hook.
Rotating the loosened hooks 90 degrees perpendicular to the frame and tightening the bolts with a breaker bar tweaks the frame straighter. The anchor back plate remains in stock position. Both hooks are temporarily attached to the single anchor plate.
I did have to hammer inward on a bend in the frame on the right vertical wall (driver's outside of frame) to persuade the metal straight while the bolts through the perpendicular hooks were placing tension on the frame.
Frame was close to correct, but it would elastically return out of square when the bolts were released.

I placed a washer between the hook and frame, as pictured, to help apply force to the frame, such that I was bending the frame beyond straight. When the bolts were unscrewed the frame finally elastically returned to its proper shape.

Effectively, everything is straight now.

I need to replace the hardware to install the valence.

Later on that.

Last edited:

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thus far is the 97 GMC
Still needing replacement clips and bolts, not to mention paint refresh of the hook.
Don't mind the out of state plate.
And I hate that lightbar.

My 98 has a grill guard, it uses space blocks on the hooks with longer bolts. so same idea.
The stock hook type valance does not fit.

If what I have shown helps you, let me know!

Last edited: