Torsion Bar Keys - Are stock ones ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mud96

Reaction score
I have a 96 Sierra with cranked torsion bars and 2" blocks in the back. The person who installed everything did not use the keys supplied in the kit. The truck drives like crap on rough roads, way too stiff in the front end. Would installing the keys supplied with the kit fix this issue or is it the way it is with
cranked torsion bars?

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys are a waste of money on these trucks. You can crank to the droop stops with the stock ones. Cranking the front end up 2" is going to kill your ride quality no matter what.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cranked mine up about 1 inch. Used less than half of the bolt sticking out. I wouldn't want to go any higher. Lift keys only let you lift it more. They don't fix anything with the ride. Crank them down about an 3/4 to 1 inch and your ride will improve. What PSI are you running in your tires?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
If you call these aftermarket keys lift keys, you may as well call the factory keys lift keys because they do the same thing. As stated in post #2, the factory keys will lift the truck to the mechanical limit of the suspension. It is mathematically, scientifically, physically impossible to lift the front of a gmt400 higher than the factory keys can lift it.

Last edited:

Fukitol

Reaction score
In my experience the only way to het a decent ride out of these year models is a body lift, which shows a lot of frame and but will keep a nice ride or a lift which drops the front diff. Just my .02

Mud96

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I do not want a 6" lift so I guess a 3" body lift is my only option.
So tired of the crappy ride, bounces all over the place.